break light on guage cluster turns on and off possible leak?

danny.f150

Reaction score
Hey goodmorning everybody, i just got in my car this morning to go to school after around 100ft drive i realized the red break light on the guage cluster was on. I proceeded to check the fluid and it was low then i look on the ground and there seems to be some type of oil were my car was. The oil is yellowish and looks to be coming out by were the break fluid container is but around it its dry not till when i get under the car i see that its wet. What could it be? Also is this a common problem with 2001 accords, the break ight turning on and off? This the second time it happend but the first was a year ago and there didnt seem to be a leak It just needed oil. What you guys think and will it be expensive to fix?

james'99

Reaction score
I'm not sure how "common" this is, but it does sound like a brake fluid leak.

You should never lose brake fluid. You should theoretically never have to add brake fluid either. The fluid goes lower and lower as the pads wear down, and then is restored to the reservoir when the pads are replaced and the caliper pistons are pushed back in.

If you need to drive it in the mean time, I would add fluid, drive it a little bit and see if you lose fluid significantly. From there, decide how urgent of an issue it is. I'd say all brake fluid leaks are somewhat urgent, but not always insanely urgent.

I'd try to jack up the car and clean all components in and around the master cylinder/brake booster area, inspect all brake lines and continue your diagnosis from there. Hopefully by cleaning and driving for a couple days, your leak will reveal itself more directly.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
I'd try to jack up the car and clean all components in and around the master cylinder/brake booster area, inspect all brake lines and continue your diagnosis from there. Hopefully by cleaning and driving for a couple days, your leak will reveal itself more directly.

This.

I just cleaned my reservoir because I think it's been leaking a little due to being overfilled, so I'm making sure there that's where the fluid is coming from.

Back