Broken tie rod

snowcolt17

Reaction score
So.. I was driving down the road and my right tie rod broke. When taking the wheel off to see what was wrong we broke 2 studs..

So.. I was thinking of getting the hub off to get new studs pressed in but I need I tool, correct? And changing the tie rod is just like any other tie road?

Thanks

It's for a 02 coupe 4cyl btw

james'99

Reaction score
I could be wrong but by pulling the hub out of the bearing, I think you effectively ruin the inner race of the bearing. Some people grind down the studs on the side in order to get them in as well as grind part of the hub.

Tie rod is a tie rod though. Nothing special here.

snowcolt17

Reaction score
Yea I saw where people grind them.. But the car is on side of the road ha. :(

It's only a mile from my grandparents house. So that's a plus. I'll try to wt it there tomorrow.

Also if I remember correctly it's broke at/near the rack. There is power steering fluid coming from the boot at the rack.

james'99

Reaction score
Yea I saw where people grind them.. But the car is on side of the road ha. :(

It's only a mile from my grandparents house. So that's a plus. I'll try to wt it there tomorrow.

Also if I remember correctly it's broke at/near the rack. There is power steering fluid coming from the boot at the rack.

Sorry man. Keep me posted with pictures and such.

hotaccord243

Reaction score
Don't remove the hub, you'll replace more than you have to.

I've replaced studs without grinding or anything, just take off all the rotor, caliper, and adapter, turn the hub to have the broken stud where the caliper used to be, take a hammer and chisel to hammer it out from the outside, and use a hammer to force it through the backside of the hub, done a whole bunch of 'em like that. Hopefully that makes sense lol

snowcolt17

Reaction score
That does make sense. I've did that before but wasn't sure if there was enough room to knock it out.

Idk what my luck is.. But when I was running spacers on the truck I had before my accord, I was going about 60 and the front pass side tire came off.

Oh and small update.. My car is still on side of the road my insurance lapsed a few days ago, or I could have got it towed for free. To tow it 1 mile is $80. To rent a uhaul tow dolly it's $50.

Anyone have any idea what to do? We have a 16ft trailer but getting it on and off is going to be a PITA

Last edited:

snowcolt17

Reaction score
Finally got my car home..
Damage wSnt as bad as I thought, just a broken inner tie rod.. The boot was zip tied so pretty sure someone was in there before. Outter tie rod looks fine and joint looks fine.

Ordered a moog inner tie rod it'll be here Tuesday.

Off subject.. While 5th gen prelude springs fit a 6th gen accord?

7F2404E1-2A8F-41B4-9BE1-7AD0FCE139F9_zpsbjyqmntt.jpg

5DCE1493-1E5E-461D-B791-156D89384CCA_zpsqdonxxas.jpg

EC3B903D-5922-4536-9C57-6F8BDE30AF52_zpslayd3goz.jpg

588464F2-184B-4A68-8ED0-4FD90624D81D_zps4utkh7m3.jpg

snowcolt17

Reaction score
While knocking the studs out they get hung on the hub :(. I took the rotor and caliper off not sure what adapter you are referring to?

And having problems taking the tie rod off. Need to get a seperator. And the inner tie rod tool

Back