Can't decide on Clutch

TACORICAN

Reaction score
I've done some research and find many different responses on aftermarket clutch kits, some good some bad. My clutch pedal is a workout to press but seems to work fine. My mechanic says it's the clutch. Could this be right. So if I have to replace it, I will be doing this myself. I have done it before on other cars (Civic, Sentra, Eclipse) but I've always used OEM Clutches from the mfg. Have you guys had any bad experience with Exedy OEM? My car is stock with the exception of an AEM C.A.I. intake and I only drive the car to and from work and the regular everyday driving.. What do you guys recommend? The price difference is about 80 bux +/-.
Thanks in advance.

finch13

Reaction score
An Exedy OEM will do you just fine, but if you want to upgrade the clutch at any point, now is the time, because its a labor instensive job.

Check out the Clutch review thread in the product review section for more ideas.

And your mechanic doesnt sound right. As the clutch wears it should get easier to engage/disengage as the pressure plate loses some force. If its hard to push, I'd suspect the master or slave cylinders first...

TACORICAN

Reaction score
Thanks for your response. I will try replacing the Master cylinder since its less time consuming.
I thought about upgrading but I heard the Pressure plate on these makes the pedal stiffer to press. Is this true?

CHID0

Reaction score
Putting in an aftermarket clutch is the same as putting in OEM, work wise. I had an OEM exedy on my old civic and had no probs...I'm with finch on the suspect advice from your mechanic.

You should be able to pick up an OEM Exedy clutch o ebay for pretty short money, my civic clutch cost about a bill shipped.

finch13

Reaction score
They have rebuild kits for both the master and the slave. Id suspect the slave over the master, since thats the one that actually pushes the clutch fork.

As far as pedal feel. I installed a Fidanza 3.2 and it felt the same as my disintegrated oem clutch, a little stiff and touchy at first though. Smooth as butter now.

TACORICAN

Reaction score
Thanks all for the responses. I'm having the Slave cylinder replaced. As for the clutch, well, it now make the car Rattle a lot at take off. In my Civic, when this started happening, the springs on the Disc fell out. Could this be the same prob on the Accord?
I've decided to get the Exedy OEM Replacements. Winchester Auto Part (Local Auto parts shop) sells already re-surfaced Flywheels for $50.00 with exchange so you dont have to wait. Would there be any draw backs in doing this? I'm trying to save money since the car has 170K miles. There is also a deal on Ebay which includes exedy clutch w Exedy OEM Flywheel for 185.00 bux. Are there any differences between Stock and Exedy's flywheel?
How about a Fidanza Flywheel?

Last edited:
Back