Clock/ hazard button illumination not functioning

sb001

Banned
Reaction score
Hi all- I bought a 98 Accord sedan a few weeks ago, I have noticed while driving at night the clock and hazard warning button switch are not lit. Both still function properly I just have no backlight on either. I checked the small blue LED bulb in the clock circuitboard it seems to be fine. So I am wondering if it is a wire since both these items are located on the same module.
The PO installed an aftermarket Pioneer HU, I have read on a few other threads of folks having issues when the illumination wire from an aftermarket HU is not properly connected, however others say they have never connected that wire and everything functions normally. If the HU illumination wire is not connected could that cause this issue? (BTW all other dash lights including the climate control dials light up fine, it is JUST the clock and hazard switch that are not lighting.) Thx

sb001

Banned
Reaction score
Fast way...dvom
Is there power?

What do you mean?
As I stated in my first post both the hazard light and clock function normally, so yes they are getting power. I just have no backlight on either. I took the module out and took out the clock circuitboard and there appears to be a small blue LED bulb with a black base that inserts into the board and twists to lock it. I could not figure out how to get the hazard light apart to view the bulb in it.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
dvom= digiyal volt-ohm meter

yeah, you have power to the switch, but do you have power to the lite, check on board & at connector WITH LIGHT ON!!!

if yes to both check ohms of lite. None (open ckt, zero would be a short) = dead
If no to ckt board, yes to connector, dead switch.
If no to both start tracing back wire to find out where dead.

sb001

Banned
Reaction score
Never mind its the bulbs. I found ONE good working bulb out of the bunch (cruise control switch was not lighting either) and tested the good bulb in all 4 sockets and it worked, but I had to tap it with my finger several times in each one to get it to light up. So I suppose its actually a combination of bad bulbs and bad connections at the sockets.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Old is gunk on contacts.

Turn em back & forth to clean em

Never lost one yet, odd? Have a voltage surge, or driven it bouncin?

sb001

Banned
Reaction score
I only bought the car 3 weeks ago, with 165000 miles on it, but it runs great- I just keep finding little issues like this wrong with it. Posted in another thread about the check engine light keeping coming on, turns out that was the evap canister shut valve- another relatively easy fix. I'll see how it does with the new bulbs and a bit of cleaning around the socket areas.

Power door locks are next on the list! :)

sb001

Banned
Reaction score
Ah, switch not bad, actuaors pita!

The front passenger and rear drivers locks work fine. Drivers front works with the key but not with the switch. Passenger rear door doesn't work at all. I'm thinking actuator on passenger rear door, wiring on driver's front door?

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Could be wiring but a dvom will tell you,

Lol, dvom will do in this case same as an old stock lite bulb (yes, I am macgyver)

Back