Cylinder Head Removal

Ghost Ryder

Reaction score
Idea... If the head has never been removed before thats bad enough. But when prying on it, unless you pry as stright up on it as possible, you will be fighting the small sleeves that stick half way in the block, half in the bottom of the head, and act like dowel pins. Other words, prying from the side would work against you. I think i use a short pry bar at the belt end of the motor.....

hope it helps

Dinzdale40

Large Member
Reaction score
Last night my buddy came over with a really long pry bar and got it to break free by prying on the back side. Once it wiggled it popped off easily. Thanks guys!

a6cd0e5f-5f62-ba87.jpg

Dinzdale40

Large Member
Reaction score
so...another question...i gotta get this back going this week and plan on picking the head back up from the machine shop on tuesday as long as it doesn't need a valve job or anything...

anyways...my question. What is the best way to clean the blocks head gasket surface. My friend said to use a razor blade. One said to use a wire brush(really doubting this one)...and some said a scotch brite pad....

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
Any of those work fine. Make sure u use new head bolts because they are most likely torque to yield.

Back