Damper Fork Pinch Bolt Snapped

CanadianEh48

Reaction score
20131223_133913_zps75fd3626.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20131223_133927_zpsb9d0153e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Hey everyone. I was in the process of replacing my struts, when Christmas came a little early for me and I was gifted with this problem.

I've tried everything to remove the fork from the bottom of the damper so I could take it to my local shop and have it drilled out, but with no luck.

Would it be safe for me to drive like this for a short trip (10km) to get it fixed?

Hoping for some discussion rather quickly so I can get it fixed before shops close down for Christmas break, as I'm expected to be driving family to Christmas dinner at my Grandparents :sad:

xci.ed6

Reaction score
It's not clamped anymore, since the head is gone, I would prolly get a new fork for it though. I bet it's cross threaded. You can probably pound that fork off the strut you no longer need.

CanadianEh48

Reaction score
It's not clamped anymore, since the head is gone, I would prolly get a new fork for it though. I bet it's cross threaded. You can probably pound that fork off the strut you no longer need.

I can guarantee its not cross threaded, seeing as the last person to tighten that bolt was myself.

However, I'm most likely at least partially at fault, as I was probably a little overzealous when I tightened it. That, combined with Canadian winters having a go at it over the last several years, and here we are.

mx5kev

Reaction score
If you make a slot on the screw with a dremel, you can unscrew it with a flat screwdriver. And lube it.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
When you do take your suspension and put the new stuff on, put anti-seize or grease on every bolt. You will thank yourself later.

doubleclutch

Reaction score
I had the same problem when i put on lowering springs. I had to cut the fork with a 10amp angle grinder. Had to buy different one's from the junkyard, honda wanted 275 a piece, scrap sold them for 5 bucks a piece :Big Laugh:. grease and impact guns are your friend. good luck

CanadianEh48

Reaction score
Got it off, grabbed a used fork from the wrecker for $40, with bolt.

New struts are in, car rides well now. Thanks for the help 6GA!

Back