Difference between a cut/short shifter

HotboxF23

Reaction score
So i decided to make this thread because i realized just yesterday that the prior owner cut my shift knob before i owned it...some tend to think its the same idea(or at least he did)...this is false as cutting the shifter shortens the length of the overall throw but not the angle. So essentially you have to reach slightly farther(though its not so bad i actually dont mind) to accomplish the shift..

Many will and may argue this but i simple test to put in perspective what a short shifter actually accomplishes will change your mind 100%(for those who dont believe)

Try this little test at home and youll understand

All you need is
mcds sweet tea cup or tall cup with a lid and a hole for the straw
2 straws
A paper towel roll(the middle brown piece)
Some glue(or if its cut perfect you can probably hold pressure on it from the top so it doesnt move)

Ok so heres what you do

Cut the roll to the height of the cup
Glue the base of.the roll to the center of the bottom of the cup(basically try to keep it sturdy)
Put the lid on the up

To demonstrate how a normal shifter works put the straw through the hole in the lid so that it hangs below the lid(going into the roll) about 2 inches
Move the straw as if shifting until you hit the inside of the roll
Measure or eyball the distance between hitting one side of the roll to the other perpendicular side as if shifting from 1 to 2
Now without changing the depth of the straw..cut about 3 inches from the top of the straw(this will bea "cut" shifter)
You will notice that the distance has shortened butthe straw still have to travel the exact path
path but you have to reach farther

Now to.demonstrate a short shifter done the "correct" way
Get another straw and put the end down in the cup the same as before but this time put the straw in an inch or 2 deeper and cut 2 inches from the top of the straw instead of 3
Do the same "shift" from 1 to 2..you will notice an immediate difference in how far the straw travels to accomplish said shift

This is how a short shifter works to change the throw angle and length so it feels almost rifle like and quicker( and it is) because the angle to hit the gear is changed by the bottom length more so than the top, the deeper you put in the straw the more dramatic a difference you will feel(of course i dont think a short shift kit would have a 5 inch bottom "half" but you get the idea

Just something to f*k around with in the house if you are considering chopping your knob..i was bored and found this interesting dont judge me..hope this helps those who dont know to understand

Last edited:

xci.ed6

Reaction score
I prefere ratios.

OEM= 12" shaft:2" shifter, 6:1
Cut= 8":2", 4:1
'short'= 12":3", 4:1

Same effect, personal opinion of looks, I think it's ugly though.

HotboxF23

Reaction score
I prefere ratios.

OEM= 12" shaft:2" shifter, 6:1
Cut= 8":2", 4:1
'short'= 12":3", 4:1

Same effect, personal opinion of looks, I think it's ugly though.

Are you saying a cut shifter with the same ratio as a SS would produce the same effect? because if so i'll have to say i disagree...granted the ratio is the same, being as the SS is longer shifter compared to oem, the shaft above can reach an appointed distance quicker due to the pivot point angle being decreased...
heres a pic to show what i mean

Also, you said it's ugly..do you mean the cut or SS..mines is cut but to me looks badass lol maybe its the stubbiness or watever i'll get a pic later

Jordan_H

Reaction score
most people with call a shortened shifter a short shifter rather than calling a short throw shofter a short shifter. It's kinda like everyone calling a short ram a cold air intake.

HotboxF23

Reaction score
most people with call a shortened shifter a short shifter rather than calling a short throw shofter a short shifter. It's kinda like everyone calling a short ram a cold air intake.

EXACTLY the point is there is definately a difference if companies were selling bs "shortened" shifters with essentially a cut shaft...somebody would be in a world of sh*t right now
i have a chopped shifter and i know the difference..and as far as short rams to true CAI im guessing some "guru" filled their heads with mumbo jumbo steam up the a** bs that, for the life of me i cant understand HOW they dont know that a short ram sucks all the hot air up in the engine bay

or maybe they think its an imaginary cold air pocket near their filter that blah blah blah you get it...bs

know the difference

xci.ed6

Reaction score
The cut shifter is probly longer throw than a short shifter, yup, even given better I still think it's ugly. Also moving your hand further from the steering wheel.

HotboxF23

Reaction score
The cut shifter is probly longer throw than a short shifter, yup, even given better I still think it's ugly. Also moving your hand further from the steering wheel.

very true thats the downside, especially when some people cut waay to much, but ya know to each is own is how i carry it lol

xci.ed6

Reaction score
photoxo.jpg

I want one.

Back