DIY Front License Plate Bracket (56k) <$5

Reaction score
Here's my guide to making a license plate bumper bracket. Mine screws into the bottom of the bumper, but I'm sure you could mount if on the frame if you wanted.

oKyLT7b.jpg

Finished Product

What you will need:
gjSzYQB.jpg

80UlzZQ.jpg

- 1/4in x 3/4in bolts (4)
- 1/4in nut (4)
- 1/4in flat washer (10)
- 12in 18gauge ZMAX Strap Tie (2) -- Home Depot SKU #MSTA12Z -I found near the construction supplies
- My total home depot cost was $4.16!

- Sharpie
- Sheet metal Brake or Sharp corner to bend on
- Ruler
- Drill with 1/4in drill bit

Step One:
First, you will need to get the two metal strips, and compare them to your license plate like so, the large hole should line up with the bolt holes of the license plate easily.
EcPKjWl.jpg

You will then want to draw a line to bend it on, and draw another line the same distance down on the other. Mine were about 3-1/8in from the end.
mP2IVrD.jpg

Step Two
Next you will want to bend the two sheets of metal. If you have access to a sheet metal brake then use that to bend down both strips on the line. A large vise and hammer would work well as well. I didn't have one available, so i used the edge of a workbench and just pushed it down.
io5MZzi.jpg

Try to get them as close as possible, but they don't have to be perfect

Step Three
The next step is to attach the brackets to the license plate.
The order to use is front to back

Bolt-Washer-License Plate-Bracket-Washer-Nut.

Then line them up and tighten them up.
KacbzB0.jpg

BQrqJNN.jpg

Step Four

Next, is to attach it to your bumper, My bumper is zip-tied on so it was quick to remove, you may not want to.
Find where you want to mount your plate, and drill a quarter inch hole through the other large hole on the strip.
cR71wSS.jpg

bsMkc57.jpg

I also drilled a small hole at the end so I could zip-tie it for extra support, turns out it isn't necessary.

Step Five

Next, you will want to attack the bracket to the bumper
aEVF0We.jpg

The order goes

Bolt-Washer-Bracket-Washer-Bumper-Washer-Nut

Do this twice, once for each side, and your done.

5b9b5Rz.jpg

Then just mount your bumper
8z2I84V.jpg

And your done!
oKyLT7b.jpg

You can mount this anywhere along the bumper that you would like, and could also hang the plate from the top if you'd like.

Let me know what you guys think, If there is enough interest I'll put up a tutorial for my Nexus 7 in-dash install.
0UAwEP1.jpg

Last edited:

DrOwZee

Reaction score
The nexus is a really clean install. Looks like it fits perfectly.

Reaction score
The Nexus 7 fits perfectly! I have to finish it out, mount everything on the inside, and then I'll do a full install guide!

Back