DIY: Painting Interior Trim / Engine Covers

Raymond

Reaction score
Amazing thread man, thanks for doing the write-up. I'm going to be doing this process as soon as I have the time to do it.

Was one can of spray paint enough to color everything? Just wondering so I'll know how much to buy.

Also, if someone has a link to how to remove all the interior trim pieces... namely the center console pieces, cupholder cover, AC bezel, and door window switch bezels... that'd be great. :)

PSYCO G 305

Reaction score
What do you think about the dupli-color vinyl paint? would that be good for the dash and center console as well as the doors?... except I dont need the mirror shine. Thinking about changing the color of the interior. I already started all the trimmings, figured I paint the rest while the trimming are out.

KnightRyder

Reaction score
Amazing thread man, thanks for doing the write-up. I'm going to be doing this process as soon as I have the time to do it.

Was one can of spray paint enough to color everything? Just wondering so I'll know how much to buy.

Also, if someone has a link to how to remove all the interior trim pieces... namely the center console pieces, cupholder cover, AC bezel, and door window switch bezels... that'd be great. :)

i bought 3 cans just in case and i still have some left over.

for the center console... get your finger nails or something similar underneath the plastic ring around your shifter and pull up till it comes out. then open your cup holder door and grab the door firmly and pull up, it will pop out. then go back to that area around your shifter and get your fingers in there and pull up, do the same from the cup holder area. that whole center console will come out. there is no hardware holding it down, just clips.

for the AC bezel. again using your finger nails or something thin and flat, pry out the clock and disconnect the wires behind the clock. one is for the clock itself and the other for the hazard button. once its out you'll see one screw inside that area and there are two more screws underneath the AC bezel below the radio, once those 3 screws are removed. get your fingers behind some areas and pull, it may be hard but they're only clips holding it on now.

for the door switch bezels... for coupes you need to remove the entire door panel. there is one small screw in the door handle area and another in the little pocket where the arm rest is on the door. then with the door open, if you look under the side mirror area, you'll see a platic button looking thing, pull that out. now the only thing holding your door panel on are a bunch of clips on the perimeter of the door. just get your hand back there and gently pull working your way around the entire door. i recommend you pull out the door handle assembly as well. just firmly grab that entire door handle piece and push forward toward the front of the car and it should release, then carefully pull it toward you so you can see the metal bar that's connected to the handle, undo that piece and disconnect the wire thats attached to the door lock switch. now grab the entire door panel and lift upward and just play with it and it should come off, but keep in mind that all the switchs are stuff are still connected so before you pull it totally off you need to disconnect all the switches and stuff. then when the door panel is off you can look at the other side and you'll see the screws that are holding the bezels on and you can remove it easily from there. but just a note... the arm rest needs to be pulled off first in order to get the bezel out.
... for the sedans i think its as easy and getting a flat piece of soemthing that prying up and the switch bezel will pop out.

00blackedaccord

Reaction score
sedans...
one screw in the door handle then pop the whole trim piece out. several screws on the bottom of the window controls etc to undo it and unhook the cables. the electric mirror button is kinda tricky so be careful with it if you have to deal with that but i think you will figure it out. then just the screws on the door handle piece....

hancockd

SLO CG2
Reaction score
Just gotta say that this writeup is awesome....been slowly working on my pieces over the last two days and so far everything is looking great!! :thumbsup:

KnightRyder

Reaction score
thanks. just take your time and if possible, leave the pieces off your car for at least a week to allow it to fully cure. and if possible, put the pieces out in the sun to "bake".

Back