Elimination of rust

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
1. have good bodyshop repair it for $500-1000
or
2. sell car

diy fixes just wont stop it...once its there, its there to stay. unless you can cut and weld, that is...

Skyy

Reaction score
1. have good bodyshop repair it for $500-1000
or
2. sell car

diy fixes just wont stop it...once its there, its there to stay. unless you can cut and weld, that is...

Well, thats not what I wanted to hear haha
I have a family friend who owns a bodyshop, I think I'll stop by there tomorrow and see what he says about both the rust and rolling the fenders

JEER42

Reaction score
Try the phosphoric acid and see. Leave it on overnight then primer and touch up paint. You can do it yourself. No more rust.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
i have to either re-do or at the least re-paint all the spots i fix once or twice a year...even with por-15 and proper prep/paint techniques (though i still use spray paint and clear).

honda can make a car run to 300k easily, but wont make one that will last longer than 20 years...

mkdb89-02se

Reaction score
waffle wheel all the rust spots, weld holes,grind smooth feather the paint, primer it sand smooth, base then clear coat, diy easy lol

JEER42

Reaction score
waffle wheel all the rust spots, weld holes,grind smooth feather the paint, primer it sand smooth, base then clear coat, diy easy lol
Sounds great if he has access to a welder and knows how to weld. Welding thin rusty sheet metal can be tricky, usually you make more holes than you cover! Might need to weld another piece of metal behind the rusty area after removing the rust to add some strength.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
U shud be washing ur car more often. Por-15 works well, but imo if the car isnt a collector i would just let it rust in peace.

talontsiawd

Reaction score
Paint on cars was never really supposed to be a cosmetic item, it was to stop rust from forming. Basically, it will continue to get worse if it is exposed. In the short term, you can do your best to get rid of the surface rust, use the primer that is supposed to stop rust or POR 15, to keep it from getting worse quickly. Long term, you are going to want to have the metal cut out and weld in new metal (may require a large patch panel if you let it get to bad).

I guess my point is that if you don't deal with it, it is just going to get worse. Even doing something not permanent can severely slow down further rusting.

Back