Expensive junk yard? Why are they asking so much for rims?

Reaction score
So I looked around car-part.com for some OEM wheels for my '99 accord sedan as a set for winter tires, and there were two junkyards within an hour of me that had a full set of rims. I called them up, and each said the price for a rim was $75 each plus the old wheel it's replacing. Now I may be missing something here, but that seems excessive for worn down rims that I'll need to clean and polish myself, especially when you can buy brand new ones for $125 each on ebay, and 15" aftermarket rims can be bought online for ~$360. Not sure why anyone would go to the junkyard for rims if this is typical.

I thought the typical price for a set of junkyard rims was about $150-200, and I've never heard of this taking your old wheel thing. I'm buying them as an extra set, so what if I don't want to give up my old wheels?

Unless one of you has an explanation, I guess I'll just be stalking craigslist for the next couple weeks.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Sounds to me like they are handling it like a core charge when you take in an old alternator. Meaning they assume your wheels are unusable so you want a replacement set, and they are charging you to take your old wheels and dispose of them. Call them back and see what they say if you tell them you are buying the wheels for an extra set, and are keeping your current wheels.

Also try Ebay and a WTB thread.

spacemonkee23

Reaction score
Be patient and use craigslist. Make sure they fit before you get them. MEASURE! off set and bolt pattern spacing. What people say they are is usually different than what they actually are.

Reaction score
Car-part.com

Also check craigslist.

Haha, that's where I found the junkyard. Found another place about 2 hours from me selling a full set for $200 straight up. Craigslist people have all been flaky and inconsistent. One guy kept switching between saying the rims were 8 inches wide with a 25 mm offset and 4x100 and 7 inches wide with a 40 mm offset and 4x114.3. I think he knew his rims wouldn't fit, but he wanted to sell them anyway...

Sounds to me like they are handling it like a core charge when you take in an old alternator. Meaning they assume your wheels are unusable so you want a replacement set, and they are charging you to take your old wheels and dispose of them. Call them back and see what they say if you tell them you are buying the wheels for an extra set, and are keeping your current wheels.

Also try Ebay and a WTB thread.

Good idea. I found a cheaper set a ways out from me, but I'll call again. If it's a $50 difference between the two it'll be worth it to just shell out and save the hassle.

Be patient and use craigslist. Make sure they fit before you get them. MEASURE! off set and bolt pattern spacing. What people say they are is usually different than what they actually are.

Yeah... it's tough with aftermarket stuff on craigslist. Half these people think wheels are one size fits all, the other half think that if it fits one Honda it'll fit the rest (e.g. "fits Honda/Nissan/Toyota cars"). If I go craigslist, I'm gonna get OEM.

spacemonkee23

Reaction score
There is a Facebook page called "6th Gen Accord Parts For Sale" if you have an account. You have to request to be accepted to see the page I think, which may take a few hours of waiting. There are always people selling OEM and Aftermarket wheels, maybe close to you?

Reaction score
There is a Facebook page called "6th Gen Accord Parts For Sale" if you have an account. You have to request to be accepted to see the page I think, which may take a few hours of waiting. There are always people selling OEM and Aftermarket wheels, maybe close to you?

Awesome tip. I'll check it out!

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
All junkyards operate like this now. Some even do it on steel wheels.

Is it dumb? - yes

Is it necessary? - no

Is it just another way for them to make a profit? - yes

Back