f20b teardown question (pics!)

nathan007

Reaction score
Hello gang!

i'm trying to get a f20b on the road with a tight budjet. Engine had a fair quantity of metallic dust in the bottom of the pan and in the oil filter, but did not knock. By precaution i took the rod bearings out for inspection and this is what i found:

cyl 1 and 4 very similar wear;

crap was imbedded behind the bearing (on the rod casting, only the part facing the piston).All damaged areas are on piston side of rod/bearing assy.

cyl 2 and 3 very similar wear;

I took the precaution of measuring with plastigauge the clearance, even in the damaged areas, i'm still withing specs.

Any clue what could be the cause of this uneven wear?

Also, when i spin the crank by hand i hear this kind of ticking noise;
http://youtu.be/5sFN3cU6oms

anything out of the ordinary? Think this thing will take 10-15000km before blowing up? hehe thanks

LowerMyCG5

Reaction score
I'd rebuild it. No point in putting it all back together just to have it fail.

For info on rebuilding contact Xavier (bkz_taffetta )

Or check out accordinglydone.com. they have a lot if threads on the f20b,g22/23, and the h

AFAccord

Reaction score
^^ What he said. It looks like there was a moment of oil starvation and maybe some kind of foreign debris in the oil, but the wear isn't that bad. You might as well just replace all the bearings with new ones while its apart. I'd go with OEM bearings of the same color as the ones you pulled if you think those were the original ones.

Have you done a leak-down or compression check on the motor when it was assembled? You might check the cylinder walls for scratches and replace the piston rings while you're at it. If you're just reassembling it to stock specs, it should last longer than you'll own it if it's taken care of correctly.

nathan007

Reaction score
Yeah there was alot of metallic dust in the oil.. Finally i just cleaned and reassembled everything. I'm not proud of it but i was short on cash, and needed my car. Just as long at it lasts me until october i'll be happy.

Cylinder walls werent too great, leakdown was disastrous on cyl 1 and 2 exhaust/intake valves, swapped them with another f20 i had (took the best of the 32 i had on hand) cleaned and reassembled everything, now the engine is running, sounds ok (i still got to fit a few things before i take it for a spin), i'll redo a compression/leakdown test later this summer (assuming it wont blow up before lol). It was a ghetto cheap *** "rebuild" just to have a taste before i make one for next summer.

Back