Ground control sleeves seized onto koni yellows

kamozee

Reaction score
So I wanted to send in my koni yellow shocks for warranty but can't get the sleeves to come off!!

I tried a couple mechanics and they told me the sleeves would be damaged in the process.

Any suggestions?

Pics attached
5d412920065e1ca8bdad547ec255758b.jpg
d3513d95aae54692a3a700aa194be7b5.jpg

kamozee

Reaction score
It's the red part that sits onto the shock. Don't think it's attached by anything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Hmm that's a toughy. And those look pretty rough. Didn't you get yours after mine?

Anyway you could try spraying some penetrant between the shock and sleeve, then put the shock body in a vise CAREFULLY and then try using something to pull the sleeve off. You'll have to exert the same force around the sleeve since they're a tight fit to begin with.

kamozee

Reaction score
Yes I got my GCs at the same time as you did Chris. My yellows are, however, about 8 years old!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xci.ed6

Reaction score
theres gotta be something, how's it hold height? like, there's no spring perch for it to sit on, and you see the strut pokin out the top out the top of the spring mount...

Autozone sells a 'chain-wrench', it's like vice grips that have a HUGE adjustment and allow you to clamp on crap. Soak that crap in PB Blaster (penetrating oil, WD40 IS NOT OIL!!) clamp those on, pick somewhere you don't use cause it will **** those threads!!! Somewhere all the way at the bottom or all the way at the top.

Anyway, I don't like ground controls.

Back