HDR in my photography class

finch13

Reaction score
the good way def looks nice.

i like the "terrible" ones sometimes tho, haha. depends on the picture tho

Agreed. The real reason that HDR was intended for was for shots the the subject would be exposed correctly, but the background wouldn't be and vice versa. For example, last night I was walking down the street and saw a Phaeton on dubs, but the sun was setting and the Phaeton was in the shadows while the sun was lighting the building across the street. So to get a correct exposure on the car, the building is overexposed. I would've taken 3 shots: one with the car correctly exposer, one with the background correctly exposed and one in the middle and merged them.

Here's an example from when I was taking pictures of my Dad's (old) truck last week so he could post an ad.

This is a true HDR done with CS3 "Merge to HDR". The sky was grossly over exposed to get the truck exposed correctly...

04dakota.jpg

Also it depends on what your overall goal is in creating your HDR. I would use Photomatix for that extreme surreal watercolor look, because it is beautiful when done right, but for actual photographs that needs exposure correction I'd use Photoshop.

Back