Header Whistle sound?

MandoMonst3r

Reaction score
Well It seems like my cars been cursed things have been happening to it a lot recently. So I bought a header for my car got it installed today mind you the only thing I have modded on it is short ram the header now and the muffler. Well now when I go passed or around 3k RPMs My car makes this weird whistle sound and I don't know if its normal or not I doubt it. we checked for leaks but couldn't find one. I'm wondering if anyone might now what it is? we checked for a vacuum hose leak but nothing. I made a video its idk if you can hear it or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhqcq2g0ClA&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:

chaby_91

Reaction score
Does this also happen at low speed? And stopped in neutral?

On another note,
how does your brake pedal feel?

MandoMonst3r

Reaction score
The Breaks are fine Iv tried seeing if it does it while in neutral and revving the engine but it dosnt do it also while its in park no sound. It only does it when I hit higher rpms when I press the gas peddle harder. I dont know if changing the gaskets would help? they look fine tho we couldn't find a leak.

luanster

Reaction score
Check to make sure all bolts are tight. And what headers are you using? I had eBay headers at one point and the gasket between the header and downpipe went to crap and it started making a whistling sound at high rpm. The way I check was that I just checked under the hood after a long drive and saw that the frame by the header/downpipe link was a bit wet due to the heat coming out of it like a teapot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MandoMonst3r

Reaction score
Yeah they are ebay ones and when I put a light to it it looked like their was moisture around it. The welds were good but iv herd that the gaskets that come with them are horrible I didnt think so horrible that the same day right after install that would happen. Any ideas where I could get good replacement gaskets?

luanster

Reaction score
Pretty sure your local mechanics or muffler shop should have them. But I had problems with the eBay headers. It kept throwing me a code and wouldn't let me pass my emissions. Changed all the o2 sensors and still got the codes. Ended up upgrading my header to dc headers and it fixed all my problems. So just be aware that you WILL have to change the header anywhere from 6 months to a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Gaskets can be good DIY, the header flanges are thick steel, so use softer, that can take the heat. Like copper sheet cut to shape. Actually, holes are important, the outside can be made nice when bolted together with an angle grinder.

I never trust chinese gaskets.

Why you say 6mo-1yr header, mine usually lasted years, one more than 20. high mileage, 100k+, 6yrs+

-edit: if the headers dont stay flat, glass+sandpaper=fixed

MandoMonst3r

Reaction score
Ill try it out thanks guys I went to go get it checked for leaks but they couldn't find anything except a missing bolt from the manifold their was one broken off in their. So I paid 40 bucks to get it replaced and it didn't fix the problem -_-.. im thinking of just buying a less restrictive cat and a full exhaust?? or just putting my old one back on. I had originally taken it off since the flex pipe on my stock one was torn but the sounds driving me crazy whenever Hit that 3000rpm sounds like a non existent turbos spooling XD.

Back