Heater Core replacement labor

KayGee

Reaction score
Based on the wet carpet on the passenger footwell I think that I need a heater core replacement. How involved is this job? Is it a do it yourself in half a day or should I let the dealer tackle it and how many hours labor is reasonable?

finch13

Reaction score
Does it smell like coolant? Sweet, syrupy smell? If it doesn't smell like coolant, the evaporator drain is porbably clogged, causing it to overflow onto the carpet.

Labor time for the heater core is 7.3 hours for a technician, the evaporator drain should only involve shoving a pipe snake up the hose from the underside of the car.

KayGee

Reaction score
I hope you're right but I do see water dripping from the AC drip line which makes me think its the heater core. I have a sweet smelling air freshener so its hard to determine if I can smell coolant.

finch13

Reaction score
Well, open the coolant reservoir and take a sniff, then sniff the carpet. The evap drain can still be blocked and cause the pan to overflow, especially since you're in a high humidity area.

I'd do everything you can to try and determine the problem yourself. The dealer will charge you $90-120 just to look at it. You're probably looking at a $900-1100 bill from the dealer if it is the heater core.

Back