Help me Identify what this sound means

cfox28

Reaction score
http://s1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee387/charlesfox28/?action=view&current=DSCN0857.mp4

This problem has just recently sprung up on me. I was thinking warped rotors, but i thought if it was that it would progressively get worse not just come out of nowhere.

Happens mostly at speeds under at or below 30
increase in speed results in an increase frequency of the noise
a day ago applying the break would make the noise go away, but now it doesn't matter

Thanks for the advice, And sorry if this is a noob question

P.S. you don't need to listen to the whole clip, you can really get the idea after 25 secs

001Stunna

Reaction score
Sounds like something stuck and rubbing...possibly the brake backing plate maybe.
Have you checked the brake area for anything stuck in there?
If you have drums in the back...remove the wheels, take off the drum and clean/regrease the brake components in there.
I'd say to jack up the car, put it neutral and spin the wheels by hand trying to pinpoint the place where its rubbing/griding.

cfox28

Reaction score
If it was a warning pin for the pads, would I still hear it when I don't apply the brakes? If it is anything brake related, could I potentially hear it without applying the brakes. There isn't anything jammed in there as far as I can see.

Chris Vu

Reaction score
once, my warning pin got rusted and was breaking off, but it hadn't fully broken off yet so it was still sitting at an angle so it would squeel ALL THE TIME .. just take a look :) wouldn't hurt lol.

JediYuhdigg

Reaction score
If it was a warning pin for the pads, would I still hear it when I don't apply the brakes? If it is anything brake related, could I potentially hear it without applying the brakes. There isn't anything jammed in there as far as I can see.

Yes, because the pads could be so low that they're actually constantly damaging the rotors. I've let mine get that far before and I ended up having to get new rotors because they were too worn to resurface.

x5carl3tMurd3rx

Reaction score
pull the wheels and check the brakes. definitely sounds like something stuck rubbing against the rotor or a pad wear indicator.

Back