high output alternator help!

kcollazo86

Reaction score
Hello everyone well I'm new to this site and I have a question. I think I'm in need of a high put altenator when I put my system up to loud and put the windows down or open my sunroof even hitting the turn signals my system fades out and fades back in like if I'm lacking power all my grounds are 0 gauge my power is 4 gauge I also got the big 3 with 0 gauge I also even have a optima yellow top batt. So the only thing that pops up to my head is a high output alternator I wanted to no if anyone ever had this problem with here accord.

1999 honda accord ex

2 10inch Evs midbass woffers 2 4" dome titanium bullet tweeters

2 6.5 beymas on the door

880.4 soundstream trx 4.880 (voice amp)

And 2 10" mtx runing on 1000/2 sony amp( I know the amp is wack) but I got a jlaudio 1000/1 with a 12" L7 still aint put it on cause the problem I'm having.

Where you bought ur ho alternator and how much and how long have u had it and is there anything I have to know before putting one on ? Thank you guys

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
what are the fuse ratings on the amps?

the stock alternator only puts out 80A so you could safely have 100-110A of draw as long as you dont play test tones all day. so far though...sounds like you will have to get a HO one...

stinger makes a 200A one...and there are a couple places that "re-wind" the stock ones which isn't as good. there are a couple people on here that have one so wait for their responses (xx24xx is one of them).

kcollazo86

Reaction score
Thanks and the amp ratting are on the 4 channel 30 x 3 and on the bass amp 40 x 2. And I went to check my alt and it reads 14.9 and with system on 14.0 I tired of stressing this **** and buying things that get me no where.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
170A draw...yeah, you need a HO alternator.

oh and you need to upgrade to 1/0 for the full run of the power wire, too. calculators will "show" that xxx output watts need yyy gauge of wire but thats only a guideline. as a wire gets longer, its resistance increases. add to that a distribution block (if you dont have 2 runs of 4ga, that is) and add in more resistance.

youre on track with the upgraded grounds and battery...just do 1/0 and a HO and you should be good.

xx24xx

Reaction score
First of all do you have a 6cyl or 4cyl? I have a HO alt for sale for a 4cyl if you need it. Getting a HO alternator does solve a lot of problems but it can be costly. Honestly I think you would be fine with upgrading your stock battery. If that isn't enough you can add a battery to the rear. The Stinger SP1000 fits very nicely and has great performance.

kcollazo86

Reaction score
Thanks a lot you helped me a lot so I should go with a 170amp ho alt ?
Question becomes who sales good ho alt?

kcollazo86

Reaction score
And yes I have a 4cyl and I already have a optima yellow top gell bat I don't wana run more batt how much u want for the ho alt

xx24xx

Reaction score
It's a Stinger 200A HO alt. I've got it on the "For Sale" thread for $200 shipped plus 3% for paypal. You can pay me more if you want. ;)

IMO the best aftermarket alternator you can buy is Ohio Gen. I have one for my car that costed me $650. NO JOKE! (So I'm obviously selling my alt dirt cheap.) You can find other brands a little cheaper around $400+ but the best always comes at a price. Stinger is good stuff too but I went a different route to get more juice that was very much needed. This Stinger is more than enough for you.

kcollazo86

Reaction score
It's a Stinger 200A HO alt. I've got it on the "For Sale" thread for $200 shipped plus 3% for paypal. You can pay me more if you want. ;)

IMO the best aftermarket alternator you can buy is Ohio Gen. I have one for my car that costed me $650. NO JOKE! (So I'm obviously selling my alt dirt cheap.) You can find other brands a little cheaper around $400+ but the best always comes at a price. Stinger is good stuff too but I went a different route to get more juice that was very much needed. This Stinger is more than enough for you.

How long have you the alt? I'm pretty interested just would like to get alittle more research done before buying.

Back