How can i get a non-car specific amp down to 12 volts?

talontsiawd

Reaction score
I basically need a amp that puts out like maybe 5 watts rms tops. It is not for my sound system, just to start that off. I basically have a bluetooth kit in my car that doesn't work with external amplifies very well to use my systems speakers for playback so i installed two 3in speakers under my dash. The amp powering them calms to push 1 watt rms. They are just slightly too quiet. I was thinking about finding an amp for computer speakers or anything that i can get for very cheap second hand, that doesn't have alot of complex circuitry.

Can anyone help me out? I could take something apart and check things out with a multimeter but i don't want to buy something and find out it isn't 12 volts at the amp. Also, if anyone knows something i could just buy, that would be great too.

I know more than a few 120volt options that would be very cheap but i don't want an ac inverter in my car right now.

lashlee

Reaction score
I would contact your local university and see if they offer an electrical engineering program. If so, some of the professors can show how to make one, if they don't have one already floating around.

talontsiawd

Reaction score
My school doesn't so it would be hard to go somewhere else, just for help. I think i might just buy a set of amplified speakers of craiglist and get out the multimeter, see if the amp part trickles down to 12 volts. I have a feeling it does.

I wish i could just search 12 volt amp on google but i only get car stuff. What i need shouldn't cost more than $5-10 i would imagine. I'd rather have it have a case than make my own (which would probably just be electrical tape wrapped around lol).

Back