how do you know when to change rear drum shoes?

FallenAngelHIM

Reaction score
i have an LX with rear drum brakes, how do i know when i need to change the shoes? do they squeak like the pads? or is there a clicking sound or something or do i go by mileage? i don't think they have been changed since i bought the car 2 years ago. i tried to yank on the hand brake today while the car was at 10 MPH and it did not come to a complete stop, just dragged it slowly. is that a sign?

any particular brand of shoes i should grab?

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
theyre deff worn.......just take the wheel off, and hit the drum, on the face, but near the edge, itll come loose and just look at the pads. itll take a little muscle to hit the drums, so no pussy shots, haha. im in the same boat as you, and thats how the techs at work take the drums off.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I finally changed the shoes and had the drums turned at 97k miles. They were the OG's.

Wildman

Read the rules
Reaction score
the emergency brake could be dragging on good shoes though. with drum brakes, go in reverse and nail the brakes a few times, it will help readjust the tension. I'm assuming all drum brakes are the same anyways, my old ranger ('96) had drum brakes and that was a quick & easy way to tighten them up.

Back