Humming noise when making turns

Solo

Reaction score
I'm new to this forum, I have a 2000 Honda Accord v6 coupe. I just changed my power steering hose. Now when I turn the wheels I get a humming noise sometimes. I already changed my power steering fluid thinking it could be that. Has anyone had the same problem or a solution. Thanks in advance

chaby_91

Reaction score
I am assuming here that there is no leak and the fluid level is right

The procedure when filling up the ps system is

1. Add fluid up to the line (between the 2 lines?)
2. Lift the front of the car
3. Turn the wheels all the way in both direction until you can't hear the pump anymore.
4. Repeat process until the fluid level is stable

Did you do that?

This can happen if the fluid level is too low.

Is the sound present during any turn? Or is it only when turning right/left? In that case it might be a bad bearing.

Hope this helps.

james'99

Reaction score
My friends 4 cylinder '99 had a similar issue. Told me one day. Next day, the power steering pump failed and leaked fluid everywhere. May want to take a careful look at the pump. Look for an abundance of metal flakes by the pulley from the bearing. I replaced his with a Duralast pump from Autozone. $100. Perfect install. I was happy with it. Just make sure you break the pulley bolt loose while the pump is on the car because you won't have a fun time getting it off afterwards. I made that mistake. What fun. Not sure if the OEM comes with a new pulley but the OEM was $300+ I believe. Also heed xdi.ed6's warning on the fluid. What was the reason for changing the hose?

Last edited:

ujinyuki

Reaction score
most people who change steering hose encounters this problem BECAUSE of the hole size inside the steering hose... if you buy an original steering hose from honda dealers then this will not be a problem... have your checked again... hope this helps

Back