idle fluctuating

sarmientor

Reaction score
98 v6 j30a1 bought it 3 weeks ago it was running fine, today I did a valve adjustment and cleaned egr port, pretty gummed up, after I put back together I started it up and the idle started fluctuating like crazy Idk if the v6 even has a bleeder valve to bleed the cooling system can someone help me figure out why this is happening pls

Brad2274

Reaction score
rpms we're jumping up and down? sounds like a vacuum leak, usually id say leak or IACV but you just rebuilt all that stuff so im guessing leak, did you replace the EGR gasket?

001Stunna

Reaction score
Any gaskets you took off, were possibly not put together as needed. Personally i use the rule of thumb that if i take a gasket off, i'll just replace it with a new one as 99.9% of times they were rather quite cheap even at the dealer.

sarmientor

Reaction score
I replaced the egr gasket and th gasket I did not replaced the intake manifold gasket but isade of metal so I didn't see a point to replacing it

Brad2274

Reaction score
the IM plenum gasket, its not that pricy, but it is important, its possible you have a leak there, take a can of carb cleaner and spray it all along the gaskets you removed and if you hear the engine pick up in rpms youve found the leak. i put a TB gasket on backwards and had the same symptom

sarmientor

Reaction score
I just read from the link the issue that you experienced and I'm starting to believe it was in fact the computer relearning how to breathe what caused the idle to fluctuate after I cleaned up the gummed up egr port:squintrun:

Back