Ignition switch and possibly more?

contravic

Reaction score
Hello folks!

I'd like to first thank everyone here for your great advice over the years. I've used this forum quite a bit since I bought my 5 speed 99 accord about 6 years ago. I've taken great care of it and so has the previous owner. We're at 321k miles right now. Still idles so quietly, I have to check if it's on by looking at the RPM gauge sometimes. Anyway!

My ignition switch went out after a huge storm down in Houston recently (maybe you saw it on the news). I didn't think it was related to the storm until recently. That storm also claimed my front bumper too by the way.

Since all the symptoms were pointing toward a bad ignition switch, I replaced it with help from you folks! It was turning off when accelerating with no warning at all. I would coast then turn it back after a few attempts. Eventually, it would not turn on at all. I tested the switch with a multimeter and proved that there was no continuity within some parts of the switch. I replaced it and it worked great after that.

There was another huge rain storm in Houston this week. After I got home from driving home it torrential down pour, I parked in my usual spot. In the morning it was doing the exact same thing as before I replaced the switch. Jumper cables did nothing to help. the dash lights are extremely dim and there is not enough power for the starter to turn over. The battery is good.

I'm wondering if someone might know of some wire that might be exposed and getting wet causing the switch to fry. Remember, I have no bumper right now. (If anyone has a white bumper I can buy off them, please send me a message!). I could be way off here, but any suggestions would really help! As always, thanks so much for your help!

-vic

james'99

Reaction score
I had the same thing happen to my buddy when the battery in his '98 went out. I had to leave jumper cables on it for about 5 minutes before it finally turned. In hind sight, I may have been able to just put the jumper cable on the starter but... Check your ground wires. Make sure they are clean and secure as well as the surfaces they are on. Verify the voltage of the battery and lets see where that leaves us. Healthy battery should have approximately 12.7 v

Check http://www.car-part.com/ for your bumper!

Happy Fourth of July to those in the USA!

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Make sure you check the ground cable at the battery and at the other end.

With lights working but dim I'd suspect low voltage.

With low voltage I'd suspect corrosion, wich would be caused by the flood.

Back