kill switch for our cars..

dwills1992

Reaction score
Hi all,

Looking to get a kill switch for my 02 accord coupe se. Just wanna have that last line of defense you know. Does anybody know if there's a DIY for kill switches for our cars? Or what's the cost to have something like that done? Any help is appreciated. IDk if going the removable steering wheel route is good either..hear that some poeple can come in with a matching hub then its pointless.

Thanks,

xci.ed6

Reaction score
A kill switch costs a switch and wire, so like $8. Pick basically any wire, I'd go for power supply to the ecm, or power to the coil.

dwills1992

Reaction score
A kill switch costs a switch and wire, so like $8. Pick basically any wire, I'd go for power supply to the ecm, or power to the coil.

Thanks! I understand its really cheap, but isnt there a wire diagram to follow? That's what im looking for.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
From what I've read you may need a relay depending on which circuit you tap, or it could be hot.

dwills1992

Reaction score
From what I've read, you may need a relay depending on which circuit you tap, or it could be hot.

Hmm,.okay. I've been looking online at parts but i guess i need some direction. Most of the switches I see are for motorcycles. Guess i should just ask a mechanic whats all needed for my particular vehicle.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
There is some good information on this site regarding security measures, I gave it a quick search and found a few interesting threads on kill switches.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
power----+-X--+----ECM
..............|......|
..............+-sw-|

ignore the dots. That is you're diagram, you can even use speaker wire.

noelaorozco

Reaction score
Don't know if helps much but my car got Lo-jack installed from the dealers and they installed a kill switch which they say is connected to the fuel pump? So when I push the switch and I try to start the car sometimes it does but it's the last bits of fuel from when I was turned it on and then dies, otherwise doesn't start at all.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
yup, fuel pump, same effect for about half the power wires in the car.

You should even beable to wire up a switch & fuse in place of a fuse. Pick what you want by pulling a fuse and seeing if it starts. You also get an amperage for the circuit to pick a switch to buy. IIRC 15 amp switches are fairly easy to find, should be in-stock at radio shack or any parts store.

Last edited:

FNCONE

Reaction score
Don't know if helps much but my car got Lo-jack installed from the dealers and they installed a kill switch which they say is connected to the fuel pump? So when I push the switch and I try to start the car sometimes it does but it's the last bits of fuel from when I was turned it on and then dies, otherwise doesn't start at all.

I did this on a friend's car, just interrupted the ground from his fuel pump, the car didn't start for ****. Just don't make a DIY showing where you spliced lol. :shakehead:

Back