Loud thump coming from speakers

mrfish2

Reaction score
Hey guys

Now before you say anything, I have actually tried doing some research and have looked at multiple forums but still cannot find a solid answer to my problem and have messed with my system until I am royally :furious:

Anyway, the problem is whenever I turn my car on (and it only does it when my car has been sitting for more than a couple hours) I am greeted by an extremely loud thump coming from my rear deck speakers. I have checked the ground wire (it's pretty solid), I have checked the speaker wire, I have checked the RCA wires, and have checked every other single aftermarket wire I have put in my car only to find NOTHING.

My power wire to my amp is running down the right side of my car, the RCA and remote turn on wires are running down my left side, and all of the congregate to my trunk where my Alpine MRP-F300 amp is mounted. No fuses are blown either (but then I wouldn't be getting power if that was the case). Can anybody offer a suggestion as to what I should do???

P.S. I have Infinity Kappa 692.9i speakers in the rear deck, some old Polk door speakers (bought by previous owner) and an Alpine CDE-121 head unit, with the Infinity's and my amp being less than 4 months old.

mrfish2

Reaction score
The amp is hooked to all 4 speakers. Pretty sure the thump doesn't happen in the front, but it's very audible in the rear.

mrfish2

Reaction score

I looked through these forums and the only thing I found that resembles my set up is that because my HU only has 1 pair or RCA outputs I had to use a Y-splitter to connect the RCAs from my HU to my amp. I've heard this might hurt the impedance but I'm not sure. I've almost decided it only does it when it's cold....

schmiddr2

Reaction score
The links provide thoughts on the subject and therefore tests you could do.

If the amp does not thump with the RCA's disconnected then delay the amp turn on (pac tr7 or Stinger SGN21).

mrfish2

Reaction score
Ok so this morning I finally had a chance to disconnect the RCAs....it still thumps...

On a brighter note, I discovered that the factory tweeters still work by doing this haha I had thought they had been disconnected by the previous owner.

schmiddr2

Reaction score
Then do this. Disconnect the remote wire, start the car, now reconnect the remote wire. If it does not thump then a turn on delay would still work.

Last edited:
Back