Misfires and more

Souryu

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

6th gen accord model: 2002 SE 4cyl 2.3L F23a1 Sedan

I've been having a Cylinder 3 misfire for awhile now, (I had a cylinder 1 misfire 2 months ago), and sometimes even cylinder 4 misfires. I've replaced all sparkplugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor, cleaned the egr valve and the ports right underneath it, I also cleaned the distributor (under the cap), and I'm still having some BAD shakiness and misfiring. (My front motor mount is pretty much gone, but it's never been this shaky before when it wasn't misfiring.) I also listened to the fuel injectors and I can hear them consistently spraying just fine.

Note: I also had a compression test about 8 months ago and everything was fine, so I'm not quite sure what it could possibly be.

I'm pretty much at my wit's end here everyone, and honda wants to charge me 220 dollars just to check it out....

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Just because they are 'clicking' doesn't mean the injectors are working. Try swapping them, like 1 to 2, 2 to 3, 3 to 4, 4 to one. Clear your codes, then start it and see what happens.

Souryu

Reaction score
Just because they are 'clicking' doesn't mean the injectors are working. Try swapping them, like 1 to 2, 2 to 3, 3 to 4, 4 to one. Clear your codes, then start it and see what happens.

Ah, if you don't mind me asking, is there a write-up somewhere where I can figure out how to swap them?

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Lol, I never looked for one! There may be :p

Key off, remember it holds pressure, then loosen the fuel rail, unplug the injectors, pop em loose, swap em, clip em, tighten the rail.

james'99

Reaction score
Can you report the exact codes you have? Is it a constant misfire or intermittent? We had someone a couple months ago here that ended up just having bad wires. These cars have relatively simple systems. How this is gonna go is that it could only be one of few things. Being that it happened on multiple cylinders and is seemingly intermittent, I think we can rule out the piston/rings/valves. Being that the car runs, we know the distributor is good. That leaves...

Cap
Rotor
Spark Plug Wires
Spark Plugs
Fuel Injectors

I would definitely consider changing the wires just due to age honestly. I'd personally go with Denso wires or OEM and go from there.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
^He said he's replaced the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor, so of your list that leaves only the fuel injectors unless he bought a faulty part.

Souryu

Reaction score
So just to let everyone know, I warranteed my wires that I bought a month ago and replaced them about a week before I made this topic. Something really weird happened tonight though...

I noticed earlier today that my car was acting a bit different, and then I made a drive home from my friend's place just to find out that my CEL went off and my engine isnt misfiring anymore (It's smooth as hell). I'm not sure what caused all of this or what but, everything seems to be ok.

HOWEVER, I will say this: Whenever I've had a misfire code, a transmision range switch code followed it (a short in it) and I've replaced that safety switch before. I was also told by a friend that when I started my car that he heard arching but wasn't sure what it was. For now my engine is smooth as i dont know what but this is just all too weird.

james'99

Reaction score
^He said he's replaced the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor, so of your list that leaves only the fuel injectors unless he bought a faulty part.

The mistakes I make right after waking up. Haha! You're right. My mistake.

I say as long as it is running, where do you get your gas? Always the same place? May be time to see if there is a better cleaner alternative.

Back