My treasured 98 Accord EX-L was hit & totaled

98HONDALVR

Reaction score
I am new to this forum and motivated to join to find advice on what to do with my hard working reliable awesome car that was just totaled because someone in a truck rammed me in the driver's side rear door. I am sickened and sad as I had loved this car and planned to keep it a lot longer.

It has 105,000 miles on it. It had the 100,000 mile tune up done 3000 miles ago.

We bought it back from the insurance for $400 and it needs to have the back door and quarter panel replaced. We were quoted $3500 conservative estimate to fix it. The insurance gave us $5000 after the deduction of buying it back.

We have had suggestions from friends to part it out... never have done that before! Also, to sell it as is for about $1200 or less. I plan to drive it as is until we figure out what we are going to do.

Other than the damage listed, it drives wonderfully, low miles, everything works as we took such awesome care of it. I don't really want to let it go.. maybe keep it as an extra car for driving to work... and to keep miles down on a possible new Honda?

What did you do if this happened to your car? Any suggestions welcome!!

Edit: Added an Album of a few pictures of the damage.

Last edited:

Pardie

Reaction score
If you have storage room to keep it and if you don't have any obvious money to lose by keeping it, then I would. It's always nice to have what I call a "parking lot" car. A car you take when you don't want to take your new car because you are afraid of somebody hitting it with their car door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

james'99

Reaction score
Did you get a salvage title? Maybe its worth fixing knowing that you may get that money again in the case of another accident. I just had Maaco do a ton of work on my car and they quoted me 2700 to repair my rear quarter panel on my coupe and repair lots of miscellaneous dents followed by a full paint job. $1600 in body work and about a grand in paint. Walked out the door having paid $2700 and I'm impressed with the work! They stuck to the quote as they imagined they would so maybe that is a consideration for you.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
If it were my car, I'd probably be digging into my savings to fix it. Another car is still a few years off since we just bought my wife a car, and I'd be too sad and embarassed to drive around a bashed up vehicle. But part of my reasoning is I've done a lot to my Accord.

If you are planning to buy another car, having a second car is definitely a plus. You could probably find a door in a junkyard, leaving the quarter panel as the only item needing fixed.

Or you could part it out or scrap it and add that profit onto the $5k for a new ride. Good luck whatever you decide!

98HONDALVR

Reaction score
If you have storage room to keep it and if you don't have any obvious money to lose by keeping it, then I would. It's always nice to have what I call a "parking lot" car. A car you take when you don't want to take your new car because you are afraid of somebody hitting it with their car door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi. I'm all for keeping it as a parking lot car! Not sure how practical that is though. Liability insurance for it plus insurance on the future new car, plus space it takes up in the driveway.. But that's a great idea and might just do it anyway... don't know!

Did you get a salvage title? Maybe its worth fixing knowing that you may get that money again in the case of another accident. I just had Maaco do a ton of work on my car and they quoted me 2700 to repair my rear quarter panel on my coupe and repair lots of miscellaneous dents followed by a full paint job. $1600 in body work and about a grand in paint. Walked out the door having paid $2700 and I'm impressed with the work! They stuck to the quote as they imagined they would so maybe that is a consideration for you.

Not sure yet.. we are in possession of the title right now and think the insurance co will be reporting it as a salvage title to DMV soon. Sounds like your car is probably looking really fine with all the new work!

We were quoted $3500 to fix it and they said it might cost more than that. Not sure if that's worth spending. I'm driving it to work all smashed up for now.
Glad your car turned out well!

If it were my car, I'd probably be digging into my savings to fix it. Another car is still a few years off since we just bought my wife a car, and I'd be too sad and embarassed to drive around a bashed up vehicle. But part of my reasoning is I've done a lot to my Accord.

If you are planning to buy another car, having a second car is definitely a plus. You could probably find a door in a junkyard, leaving the quarter panel as the only item needing fixed.

Or you could part it out or scrap it and add that profit onto the $5k for a new ride. Good luck whatever you decide!

Today was my first day to drive it to work smashed up! I felt embarrassed for sure. My co-workers said it looked worse in person than in pictures!
Can't put a new door on it without changing the quarter panel.. the panel is smashed in and bent, so a new door won't close. Take a look at the pictures.. I think you can see it... it's pretty smashed right there.

We might scrap it too..... so hard to decide!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back