New 6x9's

Ace37

Reaction score
Read back 12 pages, couldn't find the exact answer looking for. I got a crazy deal on some new 6x9s for the rear that I would be stupid to pass up. My question is, the stock 6x9 is 20w and the stock headunit pushes 20x4 but the 6x9s im trying to get are pushing 495 RMS 700peak. Would I have to upgrade the headunit immediately or can I go ahead and install them and just wait till I get the money for the double din? If I wait I might miss the deal permanently....

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Or just buy them so you don't miss out, and wait to install until you upgrade the head unit. Either way it shouldn't hurt, you just won't get the best out of them.

SupraGuy

Reaction score
Power ratings on speakers are often way out to lunch. For the vast majority of times, the speakers are rated for a maximum power output, but even then...

I've seen people blow "300W" speakers with a 12W factory deck. (And good speakers at that, not crap ones. I've also powered factory "20W" speakers with an 80W amp for years.

Speakers are far more sensitive to distortion and clipping than they are to raw power. Power handling is all about heat dissipation, and when there is distortion and clipping, no matter what, there will be a lot of extra heat, which will cause damage to your voice coils.

What's far more important is the sensitivity rating of the speakers. Look for the rating of how many dBA you get for 1W at 1 meter. Something between 85-90dB at 1W/1m is pretty typical, for good aftermarket speakers with a median being around 88. this is going to tell you how much sound you will get for what power output. (Factory speakers are often at the lower end of this range, so often "high power" speakers will be louder, even at the same power level. Go figure.)

dB levels are logarithmic, so if your speakers are 88dB/1W/1m, 2W will generate 91dB, 4W 94dB, 8W 97dB, 16W 100dB, 32W 103dB... And so forth.

In general, I think that upgrading the speakers is probably just a good idea, and should work fine with your factory deck if you keep the volume control under ... control.

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
First off speakers don't push power. They consume whatever power is fed to them.

Sensitivity ratings are important because speakers themselves are less than 5% efficient. So say you have 100 watts to one speaker. 95 or more watts are turned directly into HEAT.

A speaker with a higher sensitivity rating will turn more power into actual sound.

The best gain is sound damping the speaker box/sheet metal. Instead of the speaker vibrating the metal and panels around it the speaker makes more audible sound.

Back