OBD2 vs OBD1

Fuzz

Reaction score
You can tune an OBDII to a certain extent. But OBD1 is better...

I have yet to see a way to tune a Honda ODB2 ECU that is not a K Series. The coding is too complicated for someone to spend months reverse engineering to make 10whp for an Accord.

So if i want to get a short ram intake, do some head work like porting, OBD2 should be ok?

You won't see virtually any power gains unless you re-tune your car to take advantage of it. The car will adjust fuel ratios on the fly (that is what the O2 Sensor is for) to allow the car to run properly, but the second you mash the gas it reverts back to stock maps for WOT Acceleration.

The only way to see any real power gain is to switch to ODB1 and have your car dynoed. You will need an ODB1 ECU, ODB2 to ODB1 Conversion Harness... Change your IAT Sensor, and then swap your distributor for an ODB1 Internal Coil model (JDM, or through Distributor King on the net).

You could effectived switch back and forth by swaping out the IAT Sensor, making an adapter for the different plug, and swapping out your dissy. All you would have to do is unplug your harness from the ODB1 ECU to the ODB2 ECU. Start the car, let it pass inspection, then swap it out again.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
Standalone and a piggy back and tune a OBDII? Im not sure since I dont care about trying to make my slow accord fast anymore.

Fuzz

Reaction score
A Standalone is exactly that... a stand alone. Its not using the Factory ECU. And a Piggy back is a poor mans way of doing things. The ECU Sends AAA... and the Piggy Back captures it, and says, No, I am going to send CCC. When the signal comes back from the engine, the Piggy back gets its DDD confirmation, and then gives a fake signal back to the ECM saying, BBB.

It is far easier to simply switch to ODB1, or to a Standalone and have the ECU Send what it needs to send and receieve what it needs to receieve.

I`ve nearly seen a car ping itself to death because the ECU threw a code, the Piggy Back didn`t understand, and it ran on a stock basemap for a week before the kid said... man my car feels slow.

graham_h

Reaction score
I've got a '98 RHD Accord in Australia. It doesn't have a ODB II port so where will I find the ODB I ?
Thanks
G

Back