oil burning quick!!

elcatrachito14

Reaction score
So i changed my oil today and it only had 1 quart left. I change it every 2,500 miles, i dont drive the car in the freeway/highway only In town. Also I don't drive it hard. It doesn't smoke or leak. The CEL is on but it says that vtec solenoid is malfunctioning. What can it be???

FunnyVictor86

Reaction score
What's the mileage on your motor? What weight/viscosity is the engine oil your using? The most common problem for burning oil are bad piston rings and or bad valve seals.

cirsurvive711

Reaction score
Had the same-ish problem. Burnt the same out of oil and got the same CEL code. It will throw that code if you're low on oil which I was. It cuts the vtec to prevent oil consumption. My solenoid was fine. Turns out my car was burning so much oil thanks to some bad valve seals. It killed my cat and o2 sensor which not only did that kill horsepower/performace, I couldn't pass emissions. Ending up replacing the motor @ 150k after a year of dealing with all the oil burning bs :(

Last edited:

jwong512

Reaction score
Check to make sure your car doesn't have any head gaskets leaks. The best way to check that is to inspect your oil and coolant and make sure there isn't any of them mixing together. I would just switch over to a higher mileage oil such as Mobil 1 Full Synthetic High Mileage or Vavoline Maxlife Synthetic Blend. You can find both of them pretty cheap at Walmart and it takes a couple of oil changes for them to really have effect. I have started using Mobil 1 High Mileage and my car only burns a quart after 5000 miles. And I also run 5W-30 with 136k on the car. If even swapping to a high mileage oil doesn't work, that means your seals have gone bad already.

elcatrachito14

Reaction score
What's the mileage on your motor? What weight/viscosity is the engine oil your using? The most common problem for burning oil are bad piston rings and or bad valve seals.
It has 127,365

Had the same-ish problem. Burnt the same out of oil and got the same CEL code. It will throw that code if you're low on oil which I was. It cuts the vtec to prevent oil consumption. My solenoid was fine. Turns out my car was burning so much oil thanks to some bad valve seals. It killed my cat and o2 sensor which not only did that kill horsepower/performace, I couldn't pass emissions. Ending up replacing the motor @ 150k after a year of dealing with all the oil burning bs :(
How much did it cost you?

FunnyVictor86

Reaction score
labor is usually more expensive than material. H22 motor swap will run you more than 2k fyi. h22 motor is roughly 800 bucks and you still need a ecu, mount(s), and other misc. motor swap parts/labor.

Back