Oil leaking on passenger side, pics inside

hellfire127

Reaction score
There seems to be an oil leak under the passenger side of car. I think it's been leaking for past year or little more. Just haven't had time to get to it until this week. I've had to add some oil to the car 3-4 times since it started.

The car did give me a code reading in the past and I believe it was due to low oil pressure. The oil level was low and I pour some oil in the car and reset the code. It was driving fine since then but slow leaks still occurred.

Fast forward to this week, I was driving back from out of state (5 hrs) and then P1259 code came on(not sure if same code as before). Noticed that oil level was low again and pour some more in. Oil level is good now.

I've looked in in the past and looked again today but can't seem to find where it's leaking. I think it could be coming from the lines under the car. I took some pictures but not sure if you guys can tell.

Also another question not related to the oil leaking but figured it's better to ask here than create another thread.
My car hesitates sometimes when I press the gas after stopping at stop sign or first starting. The RPM would go up but the car doesn't seem to want to move then suddenly shoots forward. After that it starts driving fine. Not sure when it started but it has been a while.

1999 Honda Accord 4 cycl. 184k miles. Haven't done anything major right before the leak. The tranny was rebuilt at 160k if I remember correctly. Power steering and brake fluids have been replaced in the past along with head cover gasket.

oil leak pictures

Matt1264

Reaction score
Gaskets?? its very hard to tell from the pictures. but i would replace the gaskets either way with that kind of mileage. It couldnt hurt nor is it expensive or difficult.

hellfire127

Reaction score
I probably will when I do my timing belt change. Gonna be a lot of work on this Honda, really thinking about selling it soon lol.

hellfire127

Reaction score
Looks like the leak is coming from the distributor. I've been googling and reading that the o ring and seal can be replaced but that was on a 97 accord. Then I read a seller on ebay stating that seals for Hitachi distributors are not available. I think mine is a Hitachi after looking up the parts on a honda parts website.

Link to eBay for seals

Has anybody done the seal and o ring replacement on their distributor before? Trying to avoid replacing the whole thing and just doing the seals, cap, and rotor for now.

lashlee

Reaction score
I've had a leak in that same area from the distributor like hellfire noted, and I also had a leak that was from the vtec solenoid. I replaced the o ring on the distributor and the two for the vtec solenoid. The distributor is fixed but I still have a small leak at the solenoid.

hellfire127

Reaction score
I fixed the distributor leak but later found out it's still leaking. Looks like it's getting worse.

I think I have the same leak lashlee has, the vtec solenoid.

Been reading a lot about this vtec solenoid and it looks like it's in the area where my oil is leaking. I went ahead and bought the upper and lower seals: 15825-P0A-015 and 36172-P0A-005. I heard there was another o ring 91319-PAA-A01 for our models?

Haven't found any step by step guides w pictures yet...there is a video on youtube for a 94-97 accord but I'm not sure if it's identical although they're similar.

Gonna wait until the parts come in and I'll give this tackle. Hopefully weather gets warmer.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Clean evereything.

Touch around stuff.

Oil = leakis there

Gravity goes down, wind goes back

You get a dizzy leak look insideit, leak inside is much worse.

hellfire127

Reaction score
Clean evereything.

Touch around stuff.

Oil = leakis there

Gravity goes down, wind goes back

You get a dizzy leak look insideit, leak inside is much worse.

That's what I plan to do this weekend.

Already bought some UV dye to help.

Just hoping it's not the rear main seal.

Back