• Paint mufflers black (but not tips)

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Leave it alone (don't paint anything)

Votes: 15 78.9%

• Total voters

Accord281

Reaction score
041509_160801.jpg

Not ricey at all imo. I say leave them alone.

AllGOnoSHOW

Reaction score
I'd say leave it polished and not paint. And IMO a 4 inch tip on a 3 inch inlet / outlet oval muffler isn't "ricey" at all.

iam_nas

Reaction score
you could always try tucking them high, that way you see less bling. and keep the exhaust looking clean, in case you ever wanna sell it... :thumbup:

talontsiawd

Reaction score
On my stock exhaust, I polished the "face" of the muffler and put on a chrome tip. Then I painted the rest flat black. I think it looks much better than stock, and much better than fully polished (I was going to fully polish it). I would say keep the tips polished, then either paint the whole muffler, or everything but the front. You can always try keeping the front polished and if you decide to do the whole thing, it is easy to just use more paint, rather than stripping the old.

It is hard to keep the paint nice though. Mine is pretty chipped up but it gets dirty too so it covers it. I have had it like this for 3 years and I will say that it is unlikely the paint will hold up for any long period of time, even very durable paint. But, if you have to paint once every 3 years, not that big of a deal.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
041509_160801.jpg

Not ricey at all imo. I say leave them alone.

Dangit man, I was afraid you'd see this one, haha. Don't get me wrong though, I love the way yours looks...maybe a bigger back end makes the tips look less huge to me.

btw you are really the one that influenced me in picking the Apexi. :thumbsup:

I'd say leave it polished and not paint. And IMO a 4 inch tip on a 3 inch inlet / outlet oval muffler isn't "ricey" at all.

I am just talking about the diameter of the tip on its own, muffler/piping aside . Perhaps more so than ricey, it just looks too big for the coupe to me, and it's not like our cars are putting out enough power to need a 4" tip so the only reason it's there is for aesthetics...and I don't care for the aesthetic of how large these tips are. This is why I'd like a 3" - 3.5" tip but anyway...

I hear ya though man, this is just my own opinion and dilemma I'm struggling with. Thanks for the input. :)

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
you could always try tucking them high, that way you see less bling. and keep the exhaust looking clean, in case you ever wanna sell it... :thumbup:

I've read a bit about this, is this achieved by buying different rubber hangers that are shorter or something to keep the exhaust suspended higher?

On my stock exhaust, I polished the "face" of the muffler and put on a chrome tip. Then I painted the rest flat black. I think it looks much better than stock, and much better than fully polished (I was going to fully polish it). I would say keep the tips polished, then either paint the whole muffler, or everything but the front. You can always try keeping the front polished and if you decide to do the whole thing, it is easy to just use more paint, rather than stripping the old.

It is hard to keep the paint nice though. Mine is pretty chipped up but it gets dirty too so it covers it. I have had it like this for 3 years and I will say that it is unlikely the paint will hold up for any long period of time, even very durable paint. But, if you have to paint once every 3 years, not that big of a deal.

I know chipping is the big problem. Someone also mentioned salt in the winter, but I figure salt gets on the car and it's fine so maybe that wouldn't be an issue. Interesting approach to your exhaust man. I'll look at your photos.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Maybe there's a good reason I don't know about, but I'm surprised there isn't a vendor out there who doesn't offer flat black aftermarket mufflers. (besides factory of course) I realize an exhaust is often for show...but some people may like it not to be.

changaroo

Reaction score
i dont know what youre talking about, there are plenty of flat black mufflers out there.

take vibrant performance for example :)

Back