Pathetic Sound

finch13

Reaction score
Straight from the textbook:

When checking the root cause of an alternator failure, one of the first things that a tech should do is to sniff the alternator. If the alternator smells like a dead rat (rancid), the stator windings have been overheated by trying to charge a discharged [dead] or defective battery. If the battery voltage is continuously low, the voltage regulator will continue supplying full-field current to the alternator. The voltage regulator is designed to cycle on and off to maintain a narrow charging system voltage range.

If your battery is older than 5 years, it would be a good idea to replace it so you don't kill the new alternator.

Parts stores can load test a battery and also test your alternator... might have to take the alt out, but it's not hard.

ALX2987

Reaction score
UPDATE

So i took it to the shop when, they ran the code and said it could have been a few things, they ended up doing new plugs, cap, wires, all that stuff, and t cleared the code...great. The next day im driving to UCONN, and sure enough after about half an hour, the light comes back on and i have the same power-less problem. I take it back to the shop, they say they have no clue. I have narrowed it down to this.....it only happens when i drive for a half hour or more at a time, other than that there is no problems with it. I'm assuming its something with the tranny because the idle is fine, and it starts to shift rough when the light is on. Does that help with anything? Could it be some sort of sensor or something? Ive got no clue...

Back