Power Steering Problem

watdafck

Reaction score
ok, a pause from my gas guzzling thread.

early this morning went out for work, not 200 meters out of my garage heard a very bad noise when I turn left or right. stopped, popped the hood, found the atf reservoir bubbling atf and the power steering pump is making a noise when i turn left and right. Kinda like a grinding sort of noice. brought it to a shop, they said change the hose and replace the bearings. done. brought the car out, more of the noise earlier w/o the bubbling but but but... and it seems like the power steering is not working. sounds like a heavy door being opened creaking watever.. sorry i cant describe it very well.

im going back to the shop tomorrow but it would be good to get inputs from you guys.

Last edited:

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
Mine did that for a few days and then went away. The reservoir was just foaming for some reason. No idea what caused it... Good luck

001Stunna

Reaction score
#1 - I hope the shop used either OEM Honda PS Fluid or Bardahl PS Fluid for Honda. Another seal conditioner that can be used is Lucas Oil/Power steering fluid with conditioners. No other fluids should be going inside there. All of the above fluids are clear in color.

#2 - If the shop put in atf(red in color) or any other PS fluid you're looking at trouble down the road and could explain your noise

#3 - The PS system needs to have air bled out by turning the wheel lock to lock 12-14 times while making sure not to hold the wheel at the end points longer then 1-2 seconds max.

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
I just remembered what I did.

There's a mesh screen in the reservoir. It had **** all in it so I cleaned it completely with brake cleaner. And then the sounds went away.

Don't know if that pertains to you, but worth a look maybe.

watdafck

Reaction score
@001Stunna - OMFG 5x... its the red ATF that in it right now! somebody do this to me :lolhitting: so so so i gotta bleed it all out sir?

#3 - The PS system needs to have air bled out by turning the wheel lock to lock 12-14 times while making sure not to hold the wheel at the end points longer then 1-2 seconds max. <<--- ok i need to know what/where this wheel lock is.

Your comments are much much appreciated.

@cleansleeper - the reservoir is where the OEM fluid is supposed to go right? where I stupidly put in ATF? Ok i'll have that checked as well. Thanks much dude!

001Stunna

Reaction score
You need to get all the atf out of there.

-Disconnect the fluid return hose from the reservoir(the smaller of the two hoses on the reservoir). Have a container placed underneath to catch the pouring fluid.
-Insert the return hose inside a tight neck container and hold it there as someone starts the car.
-Have someone turn the car on and turn the wheel left/right until it empties out and shut it off immediately. The fluid will shoot out at high pressure.
-Once empty reconnect the hose back on to the reservoir.
-You'll need 1.1L of power steering fluid to replenish the system. Fill up the reservoir full and have someone start the car. As soon as you start it it'll suck the fluid in very quickly so be ready to start pouring. It helps having all the bottles opened so you don't waste time pouring.
-Once full bleed the system by turning the steering wheel lock to lock a few times.
**if you spill any fluid in the engine compartment or on your cars paint clean it out with a well flow of water quickly**

A video to give you a general idea...

@001Stunna - OMFG 5x... its the red ATF that in it right now! somebody do this to me :lolhitting: so so so i gotta bleed it all out sir?

#3 - The PS system needs to have air bled out by turning the wheel lock to lock 12-14 times while making sure not to hold the wheel at the end points longer then 1-2 seconds max. <<--- ok i need to know what/where this wheel lock is.

Your comments are much much appreciated.

@cleansleeper - the reservoir is where the OEM fluid is supposed to go right? where I stupidly put in ATF? Ok i'll have that checked as well. Thanks much dude!

watdafck

Reaction score
ok, i had a honda tech work on it outside of the honda service center. flushed the old bloody red ATF, replaced it with honda OEM P/S fluid, still had noise.

He went back to the office and got some new p/s kit o-rings and bearings, replaced everything and voila. no more sound :) my only concern now is that it's not at soft steering as before so there probably is still something wrong.. but i guess i could live with that.

Much thanks for all your help guys. :beer:

Back