radiator hose adapters accurate?

1NonlyAccord

Reaction score
How accurate are the Radiator hose adapters for water temp gauges? I broke my OEM temp needle installing gauge faces awhile ago and also broke the OEM sending unit into the block.

A friend of mine told me to put it into the lower hose,But Now im reading online and everything says to put it into the top hose..

I can drive the car for a good 20+miles and it doesn't even rise above 100..but after a while it will go to 180 or lower,but fluctuate when driving.

Just wanted to see if placing it on the top hose will make a difference.and how accurate they are since its no longer inside the block.

finch13

Reaction score
You want it in the upper hose, the coolant hasn't gone through the radiator to get cooled yet, so that will give you the most accurate temperature of the head and block. The downside is, not using the sending unit in the cylinder head won't give you a temp reading until the thermostat opens and starts circulating coolant through the radiator. They're easy to replace (assuming you only broke the end of the sending unit off, if it's flush with the head you're pretty much screwed until you take the head off to drill it out), all you do it drain the coolant, move the wiring harness that runs under the distributor and possibly remove the airbox and intake tube, unscrew and screw in. Stop when it gets tight, you won't get all of the threads into the cylinder head. Buy a Honda one for $30, the cheap aftermarket ones are not accurate and fluctuate, like mine, which reads more than 3/4 up the gauge for normal operating temp.

When's the last time you replaced the thermostat? Upper hose readings should be between 170-190 within 5 miles in your warmer climate, really sounds like the thermostat is sticking closed.

1NonlyAccord

Reaction score
well heres the stupid part on me..When I snapped the head off the sending unit..I thought,Ok ill JB weld the end back on and unscrew it after it dries..didnt work and ended up jb welding the thread. the mechanic shop couldnt eve get it out,Thats why i went this route.

and I have personally never changed the thermosate. and I dought the 1st owner has either.

edit: Im also using the OEM sending unit..I broke the Autometer one off into the block

Last edited:

finch13

Reaction score
Yeah, I'd change the thermostat... get a Honda one. I paid $27 for mine at the fancy dealer instead of my usual... should be the same for you.

1NonlyAccord

Reaction score
Ok thanks for the advice..Ill ask for a new one for xmas..ha ;)

would you recommend trying to drill the broken one out and tapping it? Its been over a year since its been in the lower hose. and its not leaking from the broken unit.

I just dont want to take the risk of drilling it,and not being able to get another one in,and capping it back off..and getting metal shavings inside.

finch13

Reaction score
I'd leave it for now. If at some point the in the future you need to take the head off for something, deal with it then. It's too risky to do on the car.

I'd get a new thermostat and keep track of where the needle sits after you've been driving for a while to get a feel for the "new" operating temp. If you have access to a scan tool, you could view the live data feed and see what the engine coolant temp sensor is reading and figure out how far off the new gauge is.

1NonlyAccord

Reaction score
ok thanks again.
Yes i have a matco scanner in my car at all times.

Back