Removing fuel rail to get to intake manifold

tmac13

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Recently had the P0401 code on insufficient flow (EGR). Decided to clean it out. I have a 4 cylinder 1.8 engine. Did a bit of research to prep and went to start the job but my fuel rail sits on top of my intake manifold which I want to take off and clean out.

All the guides and how-tos that I've seen have either been for V6 engines which are a different setup or what seems to be different engine bay layouts to my model. None of them have mentioned the fuel rail.

I've watched the Ericthecarguy youtube clip where he removes a fuel rail for intake manifold cleaning on an Accord but im not certain its the same as mine and his video doesnt show the physical steps in removing the rail.

Ive had the EGR valve itself off but I cant see any other way to get to the intake manifold than taking the fuel rail off. (Some guides say remove the throttle body and try get to it that way but i just dont think thats the easiest??)

So my question is does anyone have a specific guide for removing the fuel rail on a 4 cylinder 2002 accord? I want to make certain I don't miss any steps in this and end up with a fuel leak, burst seals etc...

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Usual way...
Remove return line
Rail WITH injectors, seals STAY in intake manifold

Or...
Buy injector seal kits.

tmac13

Reaction score
How do you remove the return line? Not got much experience with the fuel setup in my car.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Pliers type clamp (original) screwdriver type (changed) pull on hose or reverse pliers.

tmac13

Reaction score
Okay thanks. I take it there's no pressure in the fuel system with the ignition off? The only fuel leakage will be from existing fuel in the return line yeah?

Got02Accord

Reaction score
Okay thanks. I take it there's no pressure in the fuel system with the ignition off? The only fuel leakage will be from existing fuel in the return line yeah?

Be careful. there can still be fuel pressure, Pull the fuel pump relay. OR safer is disconnect the fuel pump completely and start the car and let it die. Do this enough times for it to be completely dead and no longer turn over. then procded

Back