Security/remote start system issue

silverbullet99

Reaction score
hey I was just wondering if anyone else with aftermarket security systems or remote starters have run into this and if theres any way to fix it.

I've had my accord for two years. Its bone stock except for an intake, alpine subs, speakers, and head unit, and a viper remote start/security system. The other day my check engine light came on. The HDS tool said the trans range switch had a short to ground. I looked in the honda interactive network and I found this article...

Aftermarket Devices Can
Cause A/T DTC P1705
If an aftermarket security system, starter cutoff
device, or remote starter is plugged into the starter
cut relay circuit on an A/T-equipped ’96–02
Accord or ’98–03 Civic, or a ’98–03 Odyssey or ’03
Pilot, the PCM could “think” the A/T is in two
gears at the same time and set A/T DTC P1705
[transmission range switch (short to ground)].
Before you troubleshoot for this DTC, make sure
you’ve unplugged all aftermarket devices from the
starter cut relay circuit.

I should go down to best buy and ask the installer if he wired my alarm/remote starter into the starter cut relay, but he smokes a lot of herb so I highly doubt he'll remember. I definitely don't want to replace the trans range switch because its over 100 bucks and that would not be cool to replace it if theres nothing wrong with it.

JW if anyones run into this issue.......

98ExAccordwv

I'm Old
Reaction score
Definitely take it back to Best Buy and tell them the problem, they should fix it for you.

bluiezaccord

Reaction score
yeah i say take it back and find a different guy who doesn't smoke a lot of herbs to check it out for you.

jaron001

Reaction score
you should look into the idatalink unit they solve alot of remote start/alarm system issues on cars with transponders

Back