Serpentine belts

Reaction score
Hi I drive a 98 accord 4cyl and recently change my serpentine belts. As you guys knows there are two separate belts for my type of accord 1. Pump belt 2. Alternator belt. Here is the problem When I'm taking turns from left to right my steering is too tight and makes noises. I checked my belts and I can tell the difference that my pump steering belt is kind a loose and alternator belt is kind a too tight so before I even try loose it the other one and tighten the pump belt would tht make any difference. I'm still a learner so please excuse me for my errors and I was wondering is there any DIY thread or post for this topic. Actually I was preferred this website from this username "GreddyAccord" from youtube and told me that this site will at least help me out a little bit. Thanks for reading this message.

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
tightness of the belts don't affect how the car turns... if it screeches when you turn either way, it's more likely that your PS pump is going... check your fluid level and color first and do a flush first and see if tht helps

Reaction score
Thanks Dark Side Accord, I checked the fluid and it's filled with upper level and the color seem ok too but as you suggest I'll still flush the fluid and see if that helps. I forgot to mention in my previous post that since I'm still a learner I wasn't sure how to take out the ps belt so I started to take out bolts so what I did was I took out 4 big bolts of Power steering pump here is the pic from ebay

Once I took out those 4 bolts I lost lot of fluid but then I realize I shouldn't be taking those out because it wont loose the ps belt. So I did try put it back but ONCE I took out those 4 bolts there was something inside like small rectangle shape peaces that there and it fell off but I somehow manage to put it back but I lost like two of those peaces. Over all I found the bolt to loose the ps belt and put it back everything and ps belt is moving normally except when I'm making turns my steering is really hard and I need to accelerate in order to make turns and tht actually helps my steering move from right to left. Should I open the ps pump and take a picture of what exactly I'm talking about maybe that might give you hint because I think I might be confusing you big time out here.

fastflyinaccord

Reaction score
If I were you, I'd take it to a shop and have them look at it. When you are there, ask them if you can observe what they are doing because you are interested in learning

Reaction score
Thanks Fastflyaccord. I just want to update that I just replaced my ps pump and flush the old fluid and filled up with a new fluid & now my power steering works fine. Finally I can move my steering where ever I want to with no problems. Thanks 4 the help guys.

Back