Strangest start-up

Swollkat

Reaction score
I have been noticing that sometimes it would take a couple of cranks of the key to get the car started, so I was thinking my starter was starting to die. Well the other day it wouldn't start and I did a recrank and then all of a sudden the engine starting making a high whining sound (belts) and so I took the key out but the engine kept turning :wtf1:. The electrical lights on the dash were out but I noticed the rpms were between 2-3000, so I just disconnected the battery and that seemed to stop the engine from turning. I'm going to assume the starter got stuck in a run position, but could it also be the ignition? I'm going to d/c the starter and start there before I buy a new one, but I'm sure it's toast after being the OG at 199K. Anyone know of a good place to get an OEM replacement besides the stealership. They quoted me $300 for a refurb! F that.

Last edited:

finch13

Reaction score
Sounds like the starter solenoid got stuck open... either the solenoid itself froze when it got meshed with the flywheel or the ignition switch kept sending power to the solenoid after the key was turned back to the ON/II position.

Short story: After I put in my flywheel/clutch, the car made a screech everytime I started it. We thought the solenoid was shot and not engaging the spur gear into the flywheel fully. Turns out the car didn't need to be started as long as a regular flywheel and was just making the classic screech when you try to start the car when its already running.

A simple test of the solenoid: Jump the positive terminal of the battery to the solenoid connector on the starter (smaller of the two wires going to it, it can easily be pulled off). Listen for it to make the click when it engages and it should click when you remove the wire when it disengages the flywheel. No second click would indicate the solenoid froze.

Back