Testing out the new 40D...

finch13

Reaction score
First time I seriously took the 40D out to test it's performance, I must say it was a HUGE upgrade from the 300D.

All shots taken with the Canon 50mm f/1.8 MkII ISO 100, I think the bottle cap is ISO 400... resized from 3888px on the longest side to 1024px

treebud.jpg

500x500 100% crop
bud100crop.jpg

bottlecap.jpg

500x500 100% crop
cap100crop.jpg

hondabike.jpg

500x500 100% crop
honda100crop.jpg

washnwax4.jpg

500x500 100% crop
washnwax100crop.jpg

inspired1

High Society
Reaction score
those scratches look sexy :)

speaking of which, my 50mm F1.8 rolled out of my camera bag and hit the floor from a table drop but it's still workin' fine. :D

finch13

Reaction score
I've dropped mine too! The trim around the rear element popped out, but I popped it back in :D

Nismode

Reaction score
Nope, it's a 1.6x crop sensor. Only the Cano xD series are full fram (5D and 1D families).
So....what's the big improvement? Lol you are coming from an XT, so what would the improvement be, say from an XTi?

Better ISO performance? Better (larger) feel?

finch13

Reaction score
I didn't come from an XS, oh hell naw! I came from the original Rebel haha.

Just some of the improvements: higher resolution sensor, lower noise at high ISO, faster auto focus, more accurate auto focus, high spped shooting, live view (pretty much useless), dedicated AF button, dual wheels for adjusting shutter/aperture, partial weather sealing, full magnesium body, interchangeable focusing screens, plus a sh!t ton more that I can't remember off the top of my head.

To be honest, I haven't shot an XS, XSi, XTi, or T1i so I really have no clue. The camera is geared more towards an advanced amateur who knows their way around the camera.

I have only put like 500 clicks on it so far, so it hasn't really seen a whole lot of use, but the IQ over my 300D using the same lens is far better than I could've predicted.

Nismode

Reaction score
Oh, not even the XT! Wow lol. Nice.

Yea the shooting speed must be nice (better than 4 fps I hope).
That and the improved AF stand out to me.

Interchangeable what now?

finch13

Reaction score
Oh, not even the XT! Wow lol. Nice.

Yea the shooting speed must be nice (better than 4 fps I hope).
That and the improved AF stand out to me.

Interchangeable what now?

Yeah, it's rated to shoot 6.5 fps, but I don't think anyone has gotten it to shoot 6.5... Of course, it all depends on the shutter speed. You need to be shooting above 1/2000 to get it up to those speeds.

Interchangeable focusing screens, the thing were talking about in the photo shout thread right now.... they're not cheap. $105 for the basic one. The one I want would end up at $200 which isn't worth it to me.

Back