timing belt and valve

ka7end

Reaction score
hi, i bought my 99 accord ex about 2 months ago, last month i did an valve adjustment, the shop charged me near $200 for the repair. anyways since i had the car, the previous owner said he change the timing belt, and it seems to be making a stronger wined noise then normal, it can still run and pass smog it just makes a whine noise during low rpm. i was wondering if this noise can set off another repair for valve adjustment, because i can hear it back up again, the valve ticking, its feint but i can here it.

Last edited:

finch13

Reaction score
Why do you think the timing belt is the cause for the whine? There are 2 other belts that are more likely to whine.

ka7end

Reaction score
Why do you think the timing belt is the cause for the whine? There are 2 other belts that are more likely to whine.
the other belts are fine, i checked those out myself, the timing belt is "tight" according to the mechanics that worked on it last time. they said it shouldn't be a problem, but normally timing belts aren't supposed to be that tight.

finch13

Reaction score
I don't think you can over tension the timing belt. Having done more than a few myself, normally they are tighter than an accessory drive belt.

If you want to buy an auto techs stethoscope you can touch it to the power steering pump, alternator and A/C compressor to rule them out, but they are the most likely to make a bearing whine. If it's a belt whine or squeal, it can't really be the timing belt since it has teeth. Also, the timing belt tensioner is not on an arm and does not tend to "dogwalk" the belt as it wears out.

Back