Transmission Issues

mrvontrable

Reaction score
I have a 99 Honda Accord 4cyl auto. My tranny is beginning to go. When I go to D4, it won't accelerate as fast. It slips and when changing gears it won't catch properly. But when I shift it manually using 1 2 D3 D4 it will accelerate better and shift better. Not perfect but better. When trying to use reverse it won't move when my foot is off both pedals. When I hit the gas, it feels like I'm riding a clutch that isn't there. Its weird. I'm not too good with cars and what not. From reading other forums it seems that autos are known to go and manuals last longer. My question is should I get it rebuilt? Or replace the auto? Or convert it to manual? I need help! Other helpful information would be great too. Also price estimates would be great too. Thanks

Last edited:

Jimsun

Reaction score
get a 6 spd.

Ah, i thought it was a v6. In that case 5spd

Last edited:

fastflyinaccord

Reaction score
I have a 99 Honda Accord 4cyl auto. My tranny is beginning to go. When I go to D4, it won't accelerate as fast. It slips and when changing gears it won't catch properly. But when I shift it manually using 1 2 D3 D4 it will accelerate better and shift better. Not perfect but better. When trying to use reverse it won't move when my foot is off both pedals. When I hit the gas, it feels like I'm riding a clutch that isn't there. Its weird. I'm not too good with cars and what not. From reading other forums it seems that autos are known to go and manuals last longer. My question is should I get it rebuilt? Or replace the auto? Or convert it to manual? I need help! Other helpful information would be great too. Also price estimates would be great too. Thanks

You have a few options:

1. Have it rebuilt
2. Find a junkyard auto tranny and swap it in
3. 5 speed swap
4. Prelude trans is also an option

mrvontrable

Reaction score
I would love to swap to 5spd, but its a matter of cost. I don't want my pockets to burn

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
You have a few options:

1. Have it rebuilt
2. Find a junkyard auto tranny and swap it in
3. 5 speed swap
4. Prelude trans is also an option

a 5 speed swap can run anywhere in the range of like 1500 to 2200 or so.

All that.

But if you stay auto most will say have yours rebuilt as opposed to putting in another auto since it will have the same problem your first one did.

5spd is usually the best choice.

Back