Transmission problems HELP!!

ozonebest21

Reaction score
(Sorry for a repost but I just realized I posted in the wrong section at first)

I have a 99 accord ex 4 cyl f23a4 automatic my car is revving up and jerking hard when it shifts/changing gears the feeling is like stalling out in a manual car, and then when I come to a complete stop after 2 seconds it jerks again the same stalling out feeling but the car does not stall out prior to this problem the car was making a weird wineing noise at low speeds but that was ok not 2 days before this incident,and now its taking a while to grab gears when changing from park to reverse or drive so on so forth and keep in mind after the winding noise I didn't drive car, has anyone ever had this problem before and how did u fix it or does someone know what the problem is? The car has 125xxx miles the tranny was replaced by a Honda dealer proior to me owning car at around 99xxx miles so its supposed to be a new tranny "supposed to be" I'm not changing it to a 5 speed I got the car when I was 16 as a birthday present after owning 5 cars I still never got rid of it and getting rid of it is not an option its my daily driver and I'm keeping it someone please help I need to fix it asap thanks

619rcr

Reaction score
Park on a flat surface & pull the trans dipstick with the car off. Chk the level. If its in the range I'd look for receipts for that trans replacement & try to warranty the work. If its low, look for a leak & add only Honda fluid, nothing else. Also chk the smell, color & feel of the fluid, if its real dark, has a lot of specks/chunks, feels gritty if you rub it with your fingers or smells burned thats bad too. Prob need rebuild. $$$

I had a at in my car before, when i bought it, the fluid was a quart low. I didn't think much of it. Long story short, I drove it about two years with a progressively slipping trans. I kicked it to the curb & got 5spd.

Good luck.

ozonebest21

Reaction score
The warranty is up when I got the car it only had 2 years left on the warranty and its been 5 years since I've owned the car,I checked last week the fluid was not low but I will check again for little specs in the fluid, but I was planning on draining the fluid and replacing it then see what happens thanks

619rcr

Reaction score
If you are already having these problems, new fluid will only make it worse. The friction material discs will be washed with clean fluid and the car may not move at all. I've seen it happen before. When a trans is worn out to the point it is slipping, the discs are already too thin or damaged. Most trans shops will discourage flushes and service to older transmissions, if they have not been flushed every 30k miles. I do flushes at work and highly discourage them on trannys with higher mileage and will not flush one thats already slipping. If you really want to try something, get a bottle of lucas trans fix. Drain only about a quart and add the whole bottle. Top off with honda ATF. My only other suggestion is drive the car like an old lady until you can have it rebuilt.

Last edited:

intel0116

Reaction score
If the fluid is black your F***ed. Sorry to say .
and the only thing holding that tranny together is that dirty black fluid.
The same thing happend to me last year. The only way to fix it , is to get your tranny rebuilt. Im have to say im slightly surprised that at 99k miles it needed to be replaced and then is failing agian at 125k miles. My original tran's lasted me until 174k miles. Then i had to have it rebuilt. I know everyone's experience vary's, but thats really odd to me it would fail after 26k miles.

anyhow a word of advise, when and if you get it rebuilt, make sure you dont pay over 1600 bucks, and make sure you change your tran's fluid every 12k miles or once a year. thats what the mechanic who rebuilt mine told me. he said that he tells all his clients who have a 95-03 automaic honda, because those were the worst years for honda transmissions. anyhow i know thats an opinion, but i follow it and so far its working.

Last edited:
Back