Transmission Question

jwong512

Reaction score
So my transmission has been running fine but I've been doing preventative maintenance on it just to be safe. So far, I drain and fill my tranny fluid every 10-15k on the new Honda ATF DW-1 and I've also installed a tranny cooler(Thanks to Redlinevtec!). I was looking at the diagram of the transmission from Honda: http://www.hondapartsnow.com/diagrams/large/at-sensor-solenoid-456565.png

Now item #9 seems to be a gasket filter for the transmission solenoid. I'm thinking of taking that off and replacing that filter because I remember reading an article the reason why our transmissions blow up is because they have little net filters that catch the clutch pack debris. It's good that it filters it out but the downside is that once it clogs up, not enough fluid will flow through and the clutch packs will begin to overheat. I'm sure there are more of these little "nets" inside but I believe that is the only one on the outside. Would it be a good idea to just take the solenoid off and replace that piece? Also, are the solenoids very fragile to the point where if I take it off after 12 years, it can possibly break?

001Stunna

Reaction score
I took off one of the clips (#10) once and it never clicked back on again as it was/should. Now i just check it once a week to make sure it stays on tight. I think since they are hardly touched throughout the years, they can be quite fragile so do it on a "it might break basis"

jwong512

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys! I might just put some lubegard red inside my transmission then as some preventative maintenance. I've done some research on bobistheoil guy regarding that for multiple transmissions including ours and it seems to either do nothing or help the transmission. Haven't heard of it destroying anything.

Back