TRANSMISSION: won't shift

kn0x47

Reaction score
ok ive got the 5spd stock and just had the clutch replaced a few months ago.

Basically, my probably is that it doenst always want to go in gear or come out of gear when i have the clutch down. a lot of the time, in order to get into first i have to put the clutch down then wait a few seconds then it will go into gear or if the car is rolling a lil bit itll go into gear. my boss said it sounds like something is wrong with the synchronizer.

Last night i left my car sitting in reverse. This morning it didnt wanna come out of reverse. i had to push down the clutch several times and start and restart the car before it finally came out. sense its gotten colder, it seems like its gotten worse (trans fluid?).

sometimes when im in first gear and slowing down, it doenst want to come out and i have to wait till it slows down more before it comes out.

there is no wierd noises coming from the transmission. i know its not the linkage from the pedal to the transmission cause i've seen and heard (it squeeks) that its working plus both the master and slave cylinder were replaced this year.

I'm wondering if i'm looking an a synchronizer issue or if the mechanic didnt put the clutch back in correctly somehow?

Last edited:

kn0x47

Reaction score
also, from another thread i had posted..... when i went to the mechanic for a new clutch i provided a clutchmaster clutch and act flywheel for them to install but for some reason it wouldnt work. Sense i provided the parts they didnt warrant the work so i had to pay again for them to put factory parts in (so i've already spend over 1000 just to have a new clutch put in).

sense they provided the parts the second time, they've warranted the install but if they did install something wrong, is it really worth going back to them again if they dont seem like they know what they're doing??

AFAccord

Reaction score
Wouldn't be the synchros. Sounds like you're having a release issue where the clutch isn't fully disengaging. If you put the car in gear at idle, hold the clutch in, and release the brake, does the car want to creep forward (1st) or backwards (R)?

Have someone watch your slave cylinder pushing the release fork when you press the clutch pedal. There should be a good bit of movement there. If not, there are a few things to check.

Make sure there's plenty of fluid in the reservoir first.

Check under the carpet below the clutch pedal to make sure the master cyl isn't leaking. There will probably be fluid there if it's leaking.

Also check the master cyl under the hood and make sure there's no leaks where the hard line connects. Check for the same thing at the slave cyl.

One last thing that could be a problem is pretty rare, but it plagued me for almost a year, and I also noticed it on the trans that I picked up for Shahid. The release fork pivots on a ball stud that is bolted inside the clutch housing. On both mine and Shahid's tranny, the ball had broken off of the stud, which basically lowers the fulcrum of the shift fork, making it impossible to fully release the clutch. It's pretty much like a see-saw pivoting on a brick. There's not much room to pivot.

Last edited:

kn0x47

Reaction score
yeah the car goes on its own if im in first or reverse with no pressure on any pedals. if the slave cylinder is the one closest to the front of the car then yeah its moving a lot. i'll check the fluid tomorrow but i checked it a few weeks ago and it wasnt any lower. i guess i gotta take it to a mechanic at some point. thanks for the tip, i'll make sure to mention that to the mechanic when i take it in

Back