Trying to ID unknown sound

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Need some help identifying a squeaky squeal sound coming from what seems to be the front driver side wheel area. It started two days ago, and at first it just happened when braking. Now it just happens randomly, and goes in and out. The pitch of the squeal changes upon speeding up or slowing down. The car drives/brakes fine. Seems like when I brake the sound changes a little bit...

Tried to get a sound clip...any ideas? Thanks.

http://s684.photobucket.com/albums/vv202/Red__Ryder/?action=view&current=2011-06-06_17-36-40_628.mp4

Last edited:

hancockd

SLO CG2
Reaction score
Kinda sounds like you have something rubbing on the rotor.... the dust shield maybe?

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Kinda sounds like you have something rubbing on the rotor.... the dust shield maybe?

I'll check that today when I get home from work. But if something were rubbing on the rotor, wouldn't it be constantly making the noise?

Asian Invasion

Reaction score
Not if some how your axle nut came loose a little or your hub bearing is going bad.

Gil'sCG6

Reaction score
sounds like the hub bearing has officially gone on you.... if the dust shield was rubbing it would happen at all times.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
So the sound started up yesterday, just like any other day. Then after a few minutes it started sounding a little different, then faded...then nothing. That happened mid-day yesterday. And I haven't heard it since. Seeing as how something like this doesn't just "go away", I'm wondering if something wore down, or broke. Going to look at the car tonight, see if I can find anything. Car still seems to drive/brake fine.

Back