Turned car off but engine stayed on

Johnny

Reaction score
So last night when I went to turn my 99 accord off, nothing happened, it's like I never turned the key. I turned the key back and then off again, no luck. Finally, I turned the key off and attempted to shift and the car immediately shut off. I then turned it on then off and couldn't repeat the problem. *EDIT* This might matter, I am pretty sure the electrical remained on as well

I inherited my accord from my sister a few months back when she got her civic. The ignition on it had failed for her over the summer and honda replaced it as it was a recalled part apparently.

I'm not sure if this could have something to do with it but I'll go ahead and say. I had been changing a blown fuse for my lights and turned on the car from the passenger's seat, normally in the drivers seat I push on the key to turn it off, that's when I ran into the problem, but I did move to the drivers seat and as stated couldn't get the car off until I shifted.

Am really hoping this was all a fluke maybe, as dealing with honda was the biggest pita from what I heard :banghead:

What do you guys think? Is this a common thing, a fluke, or do I need a new ignition or some other part replaced/checked?

Appreciate any input on this
Thanks!!:)

james'99

Reaction score
I'd check any fuses that say back up on them in all three fuse panels. They seem to make our cars do wacky things when they are blown. You might also consider a multiplexer reset.

Reset the multiplexer system by turning ignition off, set intermittent wiper ring to half way, turn ignition on for 10 seconds and then off.

If somehow, 12v backfeeds into the illumination circuit on the multiplexer (A buddy and I inferred this from a past experience) and your lights are off, you could power all the electronics in the car without a key. I did this and blew my multiplexer when I swapped for 02 climate controls and didn't realize you had to rewire the pig tail for the hazard switch. So instead of sending 12v to the turn signal relays, I sent it to illum. and turned on the car.

Anyway, that may be too much information but maybe it will trigger something in your mind if this happens again. The ignition switches aftermarket go for ~$60 at Advance Auto. It is pretty easy to change. I did it in about 15 minutes. Personally, I'd like to see it happen again as I find that to be pretty interesting.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
From your description, ignition switch.

If it happens again try 'thumping' it w/o the key in.

I have not experienced this, or had any vehicles that have done it, so probably not common.

I'd guess just switch, not the lock part.

DizzyP

Reaction score
Possible Decepticon. I'd check for logos.

iPhone using Tapatalk, sent from my.

DizzyP

Reaction score
I just had this happen to me on my car yesterday. Mine it's related to a loose wire on remote start set up.

DizzyP

Reaction score
OP, did you get it fixed our is it still running? It's been months. Please don't post and run. I just left us hanging.

Back