Umm...titles suck, just read/comment.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
So what sounds like a good compression ratio to you. I've found 3 piston makers that offer K20 stock bore (86mm) or slightly overbored (86.5mm) in reasonable compressions for N/A purposes on the F23.

I used one of those online calculators to come up with the proposed final compression for each one with our engine. So here's the ranges of what the final compression would be in our motor using the following #'s.

I guess I should also add here that b/c my head has been milled .015 it ups the compression a lil bit but not enough to drastically change anything. Will have to run 91, 93 octane.

Stock headgasket thickness - .026
Stock bore (same as K20) - 86mm or 3.386in or (86.5mm)
Stock stroke - 97mm or 3.819in
Stock rod length - 5.551in
Stock compression height of piston - same as K20 - 1.181
Stock F23 Combustion Chamber volume - 50cc

11.3:1 Stock bore - seems fairly reasonable
13.7:1 Stock bore - maybe if this motor was drag/road race only and on C16
11.6:1 Stock bore - still streetable
10.5:1 Stock bore - stock H22 compression
11.1:1 (86.5mm bore) - .20 overbore and around H22-S or F20B stock Compression

Red means I probably won't even consider it. Too high or to low for what I want.

Just to answer these questions before they get asked -

1) Yes I will cam it, not sure by what manf or specs yet, but it will be custom

2) Yes I'm using aftermarket rods

3) Yes I'm aiming for 200whp without nitrous, even if I hit like 180, its good enough

4) No it won't happen sometime this year

5) No I won't be building it myself

6) Yes I will drop it in myself

7) Yes I will convert to 5spd at the same time (well if the funds are there I'll try to, I am trying to pay of college loans at the moment)

8) Yes this will be on a spare block, I can get them locally for $300 w/ under 50K miles.

9) Yes I will try and provide pics/updates of the build, install etc for your viewing pleasure.

10) No I don't have a life, I sit here all morning after work and come up with this stuff and crunch numbers, setups, etc.

Last edited:

Egi7

Reaction score
Amen to that, seems like a good build. When selecting cams, I would recommend getting custom specs grinded by Web cams. Get them to grind some real vtec lobes, for a powerful "mean" crossover. The stock vtec lobes suck on f23. But anyway good luck with the build!!!!

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
amen on #10 :beer:

i would really think tht CR over 11.5 is overkill for a DD... my G23 is gonna be running on 87 gas cos i'm too cheap *sigh* i could get it tuned for 91 octane gas, but i dun think the power difference will be significant enough

Egi7

Reaction score
11.5 and a custom cam, should turn out very nice, just run 93 oct. Get ready for some sort of engine management. 200 hp should be easily attainable, with tuning

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm tossing up between a custom one from Web or Bisimoto. Rocketmotorsports springs/retainers.

Egi7

Reaction score
Cool, both are good choices and I know for a fact Bisi knows his stuff, I chat with him time to time on aim. Also are you going to do headwork, to maximize your compression and cam choice?

cantafordaccord

Reaction score
cant wait to see how your set up works I would'nt mind saving money by purchasing forged k pistons instead of custom f23's

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Egi7 said:
Cool, both are good choices and I know for a fact Bisi knows his stuff, I chat with him time to time on aim. Also are you going to do headwork, to maximize your compression and cam choice?

It's already done and on my car, I'll just have to pull it and send it off w/ the motor. Actually, I should just swap in the spare and send this one off, duuuur. :bash:

The TB, IM, and intake ports have all been ported and gasket matched, polished. Exhaust side was gasket matched and ported/polished. It wasn't any great deal of head work just a little cleaning up.

I've exchanged a few e-mails with him and he suggested I go w/ the F22a6 then I had to remind him what car I have, lol. He recommends that motor b/c of the lighter valvetrain (says the F23's is "heavy") but not all of us can afford what he does to F22 motors. It'd be nice to use that header he has for sale on his website though.

Last edited:

5thGenAccord

Reaction score
BlkCurrantKord said:
Rocketmotorsports springs/retainers.
I don't know what you plan on for the lift on your cam, but I ended up not going with these after I found out that the springs bind around 14in's of lift. The cams that I have generate something like 13.7 in of lift. Just too close for me and I wanted extra just in case. Thats why I went with supertech.

BlkCurrantKord said:
He recommends that motor b/c of the lighter valvetrain (says the F23's is "heavy") but not all of us can afford what he does to F22 motors.
Makes sense, I belive most f engines in drag racing are f22's. Don't worry if you need one I have one collecting cobwebs for you.

Last edited:

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
5thGenAccord said:
I don't know what you plan on for the lift on your cam, but I ended up not going with these after I found out that the springs bind around 14in's of lift. The cams that I have generate something like 13.7 in of lift. Just too close for me and I wanted extra just in case. Thats why I went with supertech.

I haven't gotten that far yet but since its only 1 cam, it won't be generating the kinda lift your JUN cams are. Supertech doesn't make anything for the F22/23. All I've found so far are Ferrea and these.

5thGenAccord said:
Makes sense, I belive most f engines in drag racing are f22's. Don't worry if you need one I have one collecting cobwebs for you.

Won't need it. Besides, its OBD1.

Back