VTEC Upgrades?

Alpha_Onion

Reaction score
WARNING: POTENTIAL STUPID QUESTION ALERT!

I only have a loose concept of what VTEC is and how it works. I know that it's a variable valve timing system, and exists mainly in the ECU, but I'm almost positive there is a physical VTEC solenoid somewhere...

Anyways, I was just curious if there is anything I can do to upgrade or enhance my VTEC system. I'm already planning on doing some regular maintenance that was long-ignored by the previous owner, such as a valve adjustment and seafoam. I already gasket-matched my exhaust ports when I installed my header, and I'll probably go back and touch up on that. Is there anything I'm missing?

Also, wasn't sure which subforum to post this in. Moderators please move it if necessary.

Thanks!

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
VTEC is dependent on oil pressure. Depending on the engine, it's either two cams (intake & exhaust or DOHC) or on an SOHC (single cam) where it has a separate cam lobe (usually on intake only) and an oil pressure activated rocker arm that allows that lobe to be activated.

90% of the VTEC system is mechanical. The ECU just decides when and how to activate it.

bairdandrew77

Reaction score
Really the only way to "upgrade vtec" is by installing a better cam. Well that and a tune.

Back