Weird Idle P1519 - 98' I4 F23A1

radass

Reaction score
When I start my car it sounds like it is dying! The idle will be all over the place, getting as low as 500 rpm and bouncing all around, but never dying. If I give it a little gas it sounds like it's gurgling.
Sometimes I just give it gas and the problem seems to go away, and it always sounds/drives fine when it finally warms up but if I try to drive when it sounds bad it throws P1519 IACV Circuit failure. I don't think my IACV is bad as I replaced it about 6 months ago.

A few problems that might be related:

1. My magically disappearing radiator fluid. It's not getting into my oil and I haven't noticed any leaks. This one worries me though.

2. I've had my car serviced at a trusted mechanic (Rick's Japanese Car Care in Thousand Oaks, CA) for a reoccurring CEL P1259 VTEC solenoid that caused a surging idle 1k-2k rpm. They replaced VTEC solenoid, IACV, and MAP sensor, but it kept throwing P1259. After all that they told me I needed to replace my ECU because they felt everything under the hood was working. But after me and a friend replaced the VTEC spool valve and solenoid again the surging idle disappeared.

Want to have this fixed so I can drive home for Christmas!
Thank you all! Any help is greatly appreciated. :cheers:

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Check the wiring, move around the wires when checking continuity.

Double check new IACV, then, yup ECM.

Open up old one, may be an easy fix.

james'99

Reaction score
Have you tested the IACV with ohms meter as stated by xci? Start there. Then move on.

When did you last service the coolant? Did you bleed the system?

Back